Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Subfloor material
jeroen
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 09:24

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for over a decade, but I don't think I've ever posted before. I'm building a small 8x12 she-shed cabin for my daughter in the backyard. This is the first time I'm building an entire structure, so it seems like good practice for when I build my cabin up north in the next few years.

I've poured six 8" diameter, 4 ft deep concrete piers, and I'm attaching 2 4x4x12 PT beams on top using Simpson ties. On top of this I'm framing the flour out of 2x6 PT joists.

Now the question is what I use for my subfloor. The only places locally are the blue and orange big box stores. I have the following options:

-23/32" T&G OSB, $32.00, total: $96.00
-Georgia Pacific 23/32" DryGuard OSB, $36, total: $108.00
-ProWood PT plywood, 3/4", $49.28, total: $147.84
-23/32" plywood, $56.00, total: $168.00
-Advantech 23/32" T&G OSB, $63.75, total $191.25

I'm leaning towards the GP Dryguard. Does anyone have any experience with this material?

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 11:21

Plytanium makes a really nice red colored plywood that's very water resistant and also tongue and grove.

If your going to get a roof on quick and cover the flooring with some type of finishing I would use just a cheap plywood/OSB. How ever if it's going to be close to the ground or be used as a shed to hold things like a shed holds use pressure treated plywood.

I have used OSB, plytanium plywood and OSB non tongue and grove with dry guard and honestly the only really different is the resistance to rain/water.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 12:18

I like the tongue n groove. It locks up the floor and eliminates the cracks between floor joists. A stronger floor. And 16" oc floor joists. I also prefer plywood. And believe it holds up better. If it has a chance of getting wet I like to paint them to help out again water damage. Just use a cheap oops paint. And lay out lines show up nicely. Sounds like you have a good start. Not just a building but a lot of great memories with the kids. Good job dad doing great

ICC
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 15:13

You don't indicate how high above grade the subfloor will be. Unless this is located in a very dry location such as a desert, IF you want the floor to probably last as long as the walls and roof, then use the PT plywood.

Georgia Pacific DryGuard OSB is GP's response to the Advantech product which has a great track record. They are more water resistant than other OSB or plywood and are superior to use for jobs where the walls and roof may not be dried in for several months. But they are not necessarily any more insect or rot resistant than plain wood.

I would recommend giving thought to using 4x6 PT beams in place of the 4x4. 2x6 PT joists are fine 16"OC.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Sep 2023 08:18

To get around useing expensive subfloor on my build I ended up useing non tongue and grove 23/32 OSB and found someone localy selling old Behr deck over paint. I layed it on to thick it filled any gaps and even would hold water durring our rainy build.
20230528_190818.jpg
20230528_190818.jpg

spencerin
# Posted: 25 Sep 2023 20:12

Go with the GP Dryguard. Only a few bucks more than your least expensive option, and you get some moisture resistance with it.

I'm guessing based on your description that it'll be at least 18" from ground to bottom of subfloor. That's enough to keep things dry underneath.

travellerw
# Posted: 26 Sep 2023 12:20

I used standard 23/32 OSB from HD. No idea what brand.

It has stood up fine for the last 3 years. I have been under the cabin recently and it looks brand new. If you are planning to be weather tight sooner rather than later, then I don't think it matters. However, if you anticipate a big delay and the material could see significant moisture, then I would try to find the better stuff.

jeroen
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 13:07

Thanks! I'm going with the DryGuard.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.