Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Shear Strength
spencerin
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 16:57

Anybody know what the shear strength of a #8 1 1/4" deck (green-coated) screw is? I googled it but of course got multiple, wildly different answers.....

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 21:02 - Edited by: ICC

Most deck screws are not load rated so should not be a surprise to find little to no or conflicting info on their shear load rating. And that is why it is not a great idea to use deck screws where they may be subjected to shear loads.

Simpson is the only brand I know of that sells a load rated deck screw. They are tested for both shear and withdrawal loads. Simpson Deck-Drive DSV wood screws is the name. I have used the #10 in assorted long lengths (2.5 to 4") but I believe they make some #8 in shorter lengths. Search the Simpson website for info. Simpson does publish all the relevant data for their products. I don't have very fast data with my current cell service and have limited bandwidth, otherwise, I'd try to find a link. If you can find suitable DSV screws on HomeDepot they usually have data links in the specifications section for the screws.

-izzy

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 21:34

Ive been using SPAX screws for years but never looked for shear ratings. What I do know is Ive never had them break on anything Ive used them for.
I buy them at Menards; they take a special driver tip (Torx?). Never stripped a head out either.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 21:42

There ya go, another option. I've heard of Spax and do believe they are structural load-rated but I've never seen any in the West.

-izzy

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 08:34

In all reality a 1 1/4in screw can really only fasten something maybe 1/2in thick. Anything 1/2in thick isnt structural. 1.25in screw is really just a short trim screw.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.