Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Simple "basement" as a way of preventing frost heave for on-grade cabin
Heyd
# Posted: 16 Jan 2024 07:41 - Edited by: Heyd

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6b/dd/22/6bdd2298d0ff40a38e6616d063686b98.jpg

Above is supposedly a schematic of Thoreau's cabin.

I was wondering if this could be a "quick and easy" way to build a cabin, with simple foundation blocks placed on the ground, well above the frost line.

By digging a small "cellar" or basement under the cabin, warm cabin air could be funneled down in to the cellar, allowing for thawing of ice.

Drainage pipes could also be installed to drain water from the surrounding soil in to the cellar.

If successful this would negate of the frustrating process of diggng for below-frost line piers.

Your input is much appreciated.

DmAK12
# Posted: 16 Jan 2024 13:37

This is sort of the trick of a post on pad foundation. Just put the foundation top of grade and re-level every so often. Usually the key is to raise the cabin high enough so as NOT to thaw any underlying frozen soil.

I don't think you want water draining underneath your structure.

spencerin
# Posted: 16 Jan 2024 22:32

There's a reason why most structures are NOT built this way.....

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Jan 2024 06:10

With that building in the pic you will have large cracks open up seasonally and the building shift enough that windows and doors wont open. Trying to mix a frost protected basement but the building on blocks is a poor choice. That's probs 200yr old technology for a reason.

Heating that basement to try and keep the foundation blocks warm will also mean the comfort of your living space will be the same as a damp basement.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.