Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Recover or Replace? Outbuilding as bunkhouse
Outbuilding Info
# Posted: 22 Jan 2024 10:30

I'm a bit into learning about our new property on the coast of Oregon. There is a cabin we plan on replacing but will need a spot to stay while we do that work. One option is to recover (or replace) a small outbuilding that was most recently inhabited by rats and mice. I've put together a couple of videos of the process so far to assess what we affectionately refer to as "The Rat Shack".

At this point, I'm on the fence about whether it is better to try to recover this or dismantle it entirely and use what materials we can salvage to build something similar... but that fits with the eventual cabin as a bunkhouse for guests.

Curious on thoughts from others to see if there is something obvious I am missing.

These videos probably better describe what we are working with than words.

Video 1:
URL

Video 2:
URL

If you have thoughts or ideas, please share.

Outbuilding Info
# Posted: 22 Jan 2024 10:56

After re-reading my post, I realize there are some details missing.

I need to better air seal the walls (they are swiss cheese now). To best do that, I would need to remove the siding entirely which doesn't leave much left. There is a bit of rot around the door so that needs to be repaired regardless.

To avoid the rodent problems, I need to be able to better access the bottom of the structure so I would need to lift it and perhaps replace the pier blocks/footings.

Here is a drawing of one way to use this. It shows a tiny composting toilet room, a small kitchen counter, and a bunk above.

Possible Rat Shack Design

This would be completely off grid and likely use a small 12/24V power system for lighting, toilet fan, and induction top.

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Jan 2024 11:43

Imo, you will be better off doing just what you need to do to make this your base of ops.
First by sealing up the mouse access and using traps/bar baits to get and keep them under control. Look into the '5 gal bucket' diy traps if many. It took us about a month then stabilized to only nibbles now and then on the bar baits.
Wrap the outside with housewrap or tar paper, staple in place and use lathe strips to really secure it and start using the place.
Imo use a propane camp stove and get a 'solar generator/all in one 'power box' for your elec use. You can easily wire for your minimal needs with extension cords.
Once you settle into a routine there you can then concentrate your efforts on the new place.

spencerin
# Posted: 23 Jan 2024 21:56

If time, money, and labor are in good supply, I think it's better to dismantle it and re-build it the way you want it.

If these resources are more limited, you should be able to fix it up fairly easily. But, when you say the walls are like Swiss cheese, what do you mean exactly? I can't imagine you'd need to remove the siding and sheathing just to fix some holes. Also, about raising the cabin - you won't need to raise it if you have 18" underneath. That's enough room to wiggle around on your back. If you don't have 18", and you decide you need to raise it, I'd just go with dismantling it and re-building it.

Of course, just an opinion here.....

Outbuilding Info
# Posted: 24 Jan 2024 09:48

crank, spencerin,

Thanks for the replies. I mentioned "swiss cheese" because there are cutouts for electrical connections that have been abandoned (could be sealed from inside relatively easily with repairs to siding) and the "bird blocking" in the rafters is all fully vented.

My reading and experience says that air tightness is right up there with insulation as the most important to best condition a space. Perhaps overthinking it for a cabin but that is what you do on a house.

Since I wrote this, I was at the cabin working and stepped into the "Rat Shack" for the smell test. Unfortuantely, the rodents urine is soaked into the wood and structure. I suspect bleaching and scrubbing can help that, but even fully refinished, I fear that will be the first impression when walking in.

We might cope with that for a season or two while we work on the main cabin but since we want this to convert into a bunkhouse for that future cabin, I am inclined to "dismantle and re-build" as you suggest spencerin.

For now it is great storage space out of the weather and may be a good place to park a solar generator and panels to supply tools during the main cabin build.

Again, thanks for responding and I'll keep an open mind if our circumstances change.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 24 Jan 2024 11:12 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Regarding the smell, could you wet mop the floor with bleach and water and then pour a gallon of bleach into a large pan(s) and leave it there for a few weeks to see if it destroys all odours?

A “must read”:

The Dangers of Breathing in Bleach Fumes - Don't Risk Your Health

https://breathebetterair.org/household-helps/the-dangers-of-breathing-in-bleach-fumes -dont-risk-your-health/

Outbuilding Info
# Posted: 24 Jan 2024 13:03

Kin, thats a great idea. It is pretty easy to give a try as we are messing with other things around the place for the coming weeks. I'll give that a try and report back in a bit.

Also.. thanks for the warnings/caution about bleach fumes. The windows do open so I can easily vent it out while doing the work.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.