Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin moisture barrier after built ?
bamalamadingdong
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 13:17 - Edited by: bamalamadingdong

I inherited a cabin in the gulf coast on a bayou up on piers. I helped my brother in law build it 30 years ago. It has 4x8 sheet reverse board and batten on the outside. There was no Tyvek insulation put on the outside.. it does have R13 insulation....it has vaulted ceilings..in the summer the moisture content is high on the inside.....any ideas or recommendations on how to better insulate for moisture...

travellerw
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 19:50

AC? That would be the easiest way. Use an AC unit to dehumidify!

ICC
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 21:46 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: bamalamadingdong
no Tyvek insulation

Just so we are all talking the same language....
Tyvek-like materials are weather resistant barriers. An air (wind) barrier and a liquid water barrier. Placed on the exterior.

Insulation are materials such as fiberglass or rock wool natts, foam sheets, ......

Vapor barriers, like polyethylene (plastic) sheet that comes in a roll) are a different matter and are usually used towards the side that is usually warmer. In a cold climate that would be on the interior side of the insulation. In a hot - humid climate, with A/C that would be on the outside of the insulation.

spencerin
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 22:21

I second traveler's suggestion.....

bamalamadingdong
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 11:27

I plan on running a minisplit....I guess I can use a small dehumidifier...should draw alot of watts

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 12:20

Quoting: bamalamadingdong
I plan on running a minisplit....I guess I can use a small dehumidifier...should draw alot of watts

No need for dehumidifier if you have mini split ac

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 19:49

If the area your trying to dry has low input humidity the KW used is prety low.

My basement use to be total crap with no underfloor vapor barrier this would keep the concrete prety damp year round. With a KillAwatt meter I measured it was costing me $75 a month and not really doing much. Today after removing that floor, installing stone and drainage to a sump pit along with vapor barrier and new concrete I dont even notice it on the electrical bill. Also it's still the same dehumidifier but now 8yrs older.

Roof leaks and skirting that holds moisture in are the best ways to get constant humidity in your cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.