Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Through log wall vent
builtacabin
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 21:21 - Edited by: builtacabin

This was a cabin kit. The logs are bolted together at the ends. Anything specific I need to watch when cutting a standard 10" x 3.25" through-wall vent for the microwave along the yellow line? That wall is only about 10' wide between door and front. Are there concerns about logs shifting or anything of that sort? And what if I have to cut through one of the bolts in the log walls; will it cause any shifts?

cabin pic

MJH
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 22:15

Are those 8 inch logs? How long has the cabin been up?

Mine's 6 inch logs and has been standing for about 2.5 years. There's been some twisting and shifting, but nothing too terrible... nothing that would pinch anything going through a wall.

If you're worried or extra cautious you can cut it a couple inches bigger on all sides and buck it out like a window.

builtacabin
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 05:37 - Edited by: builtacabin

Mine are 6's as well. Been up almost 2 years. Haven't seen any twisting or shifting yet at all, anywhere. Mostly worried about having to cut through that bolt that I think is in the way, don't want to log to shift because I cut it. Maybe I should wait another few years just to be sure it's not going to twist. Searching everywhere and cannot find anything about the horizontal micro vent through a log, everything seems to go out the roof, which I don't want to do, I hate more holes in the roof. OK thank you.

spencerin
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 07:46

What do you mean by the logs are bolted at the ends? Aren't they usually screwed together, vertically, every 2 feet or something like that? Anyway, and this is a matter of opinion, but I don't see the logs shifting if you cut a bolt, due to the fact that they're tongue-in-groove, assuming they're otherwise screwed together at regular intervals as well.

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 08:12

If you hit one of those hardened log screws it will wreck a wood saw blade pretty quick; have an extra on hand.
The screws will cut with a rotary steel cutting blade in a hand grinder but you might have to cut out a wood chunk on one side of the screw to get access.

Nobadays
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 09:42

Quoting: gcrank1
If you hit one of those hardened log screws it will wreck a wood saw blade pretty quick; have an extra on hand.

This! We cut a window opening larger for a sliding door and moved that window down the wall. We encountered numerous hardened Timberlok screws. We knew it was likely so I had ordered a couple Diablo Demo Demon circular saw blades. These things cut Timberlok screws like butter!

builtacabin
# Posted: 12 Mar 2024 07:19

Just a funny for everyone: Before posting here, I asked this question of the dealer we bought the cabin kit from, and they said this is an engineering question I should consult an engineer. I wonder if all cabin dealers are that way?

ICC
# Posted: 12 Mar 2024 20:24

Quoting: builtacabin
I wonder if all cabin dealers are that way?

Most likely, IMO, because of the potential liability if they say to go ahead and cut a hole and something goes wrong. They could face a lawsuit, and nobody wants one of those.

builtacabin
# Posted: 13 Mar 2024 07:21

Sure I can understand that. But this cabin dealer/mfg did the plans for the cabin, they designed it, their engineer stamped it. I know re-circulation is legal, but isn't a microwave vent pretty standard?

Just seems like it would be a normal question or something to be able to answer.

As my electrician should've known not to run the power for the microwave straight up the center behind the range. It was clearly labelled on the electrical plan 'microwave wall vent'. Then he wouldn't have had to redo it using conduit after everything was completed.

But then again, this was my first time building anything at all. I'm a sales guy, not so hands on by trade. Big learning curve.

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Mar 2024 08:24

Ime there is no perfect build , btdt, sadly more than once (but not the same mistakes over).....
I just figure 'it is what it is' and take ownership of making the mods I want doing the best I can.

builtacabin
# Posted: 13 Mar 2024 08:49 - Edited by: builtacabin

Quoting: gcrank1
'it is what it is' and take ownership

Absolutely. It's all my own doing. No blaming anyone but myself.

Thing is, after building my first cabin, I can't believe how many professionals are paid a lot of money to do things they don't do correctly, or do not pay any attention to details, or are simply not as helpful as I would expect they would want someone to be to them.

It's an awesome looking cabin, though. But would never build another the same way unless I was independently wealthy. Good way to go bankrupt.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.