Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Q about small crown in rim joist
jerejere
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 11:33 - Edited by: jerejere

Hi everybody,
I am in the beginning stages of building an 8x16 stick-frame (2x4) cabin. I have laminated 2x6 girders (3 boards) resting on concrete piers. I put my 16' 2x8 rim joists lined up on the outside edge of the 16' girders and ran my 2x8 joists across. I placed the 2x8 rim joist crown up. But then when I was nailing my joists in, I didn't notice the 1/16" gap running between the middle section of the rim joist and the girder below (because of the crown). The bottoms of the joists are resting directly on the girder and so are about 1/16 below the top of the rim joist. This only happened on one side. The crown on the other side was probably twice as big and so I couldn't help but notice it and everything turned out straight and level.

I can take my electric planer and pretty easily level out the top of the rim joist with the tops of the joists--is that worth the effort? Should I also shim that 1/16" gap in the center section of my rim joist? Any suggestions on the best way to do that? Or don't bother doing either and the weight of the wall will take care of these small gaps? Or perhaps a bar clamp applied to the center of the rim joist could bring it down level with the girder?

I'll attach a picture below to try to make it clear. I exaggerated the size of the gaps just for illustration.

Thank you for your thoughts!
girder_rim_gap.jpeg
girder_rim_gap.jpeg
girder_rim_gap_2.jpe.jpeg
girder_rim_gap_2.jpe.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 12:59

Imo & e, perfection is the enemy of good enough, and in rough carpentry 1/16" is usually no big deal.
That said, if the 'fix' is relatively quick and easy I will often do it (but I know Im a frustrated OC).
It is good to try to be right on but know up front it wont always work out.

spencerin
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 13:41

If you can easily flush down the joists to the rim joist with the planer, do it. I wouldn't worry about the crown in the rim joist, though. I'm thinking the weight of everything should flatted it out onto the girder over time. Just an opinion, though.....

ICC
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 14:29

Don't sweat the 1/16”.
You are not building furniture.

But if you are a little bit OCD, and have a planer takes a pass or two at the high spot.

jerejere
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 15:05

Thanks all. Think I’ll level out the top since it should take just a couple mins but won’t worry about the gap underneath.

Appreciate the advice for this first timer. Feels a little different building something this large that my family will be sleeping inside—different than throwing up some shelves or putting up a wall for a closet!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.