Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Foundation Woes and Floor Leveling
Earp
# Posted: 11 Apr 2024 19:58 - Edited by: Earp

Sorry for what could become a lengthy first post on this website for me. Recently my family acquired a cabin in Northern Minnesota and in typical lake home fashion, the foundation is in need of repairs. The existing block foundation has bowed in on the backside of the cabin and deteriorated (presumably from years of snow melt running down the hill?) and two sides are in need of stabilizing to prevent further movement. On top of that, one beam in the cabin is no longer supporting the floor and new jacks and a supplemental beam is needed to relevel the floor.

One company has quoted us roughly $36,000 to install 4 piers on one short side of the cabin, and 10 total Earth anchors to pull the back side of the foundation to normal as well as the other short end of the building. The foundation on all sides (except the lake side) has deteriorated over the years and slowly formed cracks and one or two individual blocks have pushed in/out.

My question for you fine people would be as follows: Would you follow through with this stabilizing process on the old foundation? Or would you have the foundation rebuilt/sections replaced and install a drainage system between the cabin and the hill and re-landscape to change the drainage direction?

For what its worth, the hill behind the cabin is approximately at a 25 degree angle for roughly 50 feet in length and flattens out at the top. At the bottom, the hill stops about 6 feet away from the foundation and returns to flat ground.

The cabin is only intended for 3 season use and is roughly 780 square feet and 35x22ish. We have yet to pursue any quotes for lifting the cabin and replacing sections of the foundation entirely, so I am unsure of rough cost estimate.

Sorry for the vague post with no pictures, Hopefully any of this makes sense. If im able to get up there soon and there is interest from the forum I can grab a few photos and maybe explain the issue better.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Apr 2024 08:20 - Edited by: gcrank1

When the bottom goes there is nothing to hold the cabin up (duh, but just a reality check) and no way do I want to be futzin about under that much weight.
I think you need to be searching out more estimates, pref from someone local(ish).
Note: I am Not an engineer!
Considering the orig block foundation (perimeter?, with footings?) has failed I would be hesitant to spend big money doing basically the same thing.
Your suspecting water from above, if correct, requires water diversion too.
So a ground assessment would be my start which may then better define what the foundation options are.

spencerin
# Posted: 17 Apr 2024 20:11

Tough call at this point. I'd get estimates for the section-repair-with-water-diversion option, too, and compare. Some pictures would help, too, whenever you're able to take them.....

ICC
# Posted: 17 Apr 2024 20:56

A 35 x 22 foot structure does not sound like a good DIY project...

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Apr 2024 11:59

What else does the cabin need? If it needs a roof and has much rot in the walls I would just tear it down and start over.

$36k is prob well past half of what you would need for a new 3 season building.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.