Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / aging of porch posts
Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 19:06

what would be the shortest amt of time you would age cedar trees to use as posts for a cabin porch?

Just
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 20:33

although it is always better to let wood naturely dry in this case it might not be much of a problem. all wood shrinks as it dryes however it shrinks much more in width than in length . and in the case of a portch post it likley could be ajusted later if need be ,,I would cut and debark as soon as you can and pile the posts up off the earth with a sheet of steel or plywood over them to keep the rain off . leave the sides open , no tarps or plastic . I would gess that a 10 ft post my shrink only 1\4 in after drying one year but that is just a gess and you know what M -Don thinks about gesses!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 21:27 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

look for DEAD cedars, they have the natural patina( pretty gray) you are looking for and leave about 3 or 4 inches ( a stub) of your limb on it when you cut off the limbs. Nice to hang a hat,bow,. etc on it on the porch. I have 2 of my DEAD cedar posts cut down on a friends farm i hunt~~~~back this spring during turkey season. I have to drive down and get them and look for 2 more porch posts. I picked up some dead small cedars the other day to use for porch railing up the side of the steps. I love cedars.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 12 Jul 2011 17:33

Thanks. I learn so much from you guys.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.