Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Deck on cabin
Jam
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 11:34

Does anyone have pictures of a small cabin with a deck? We want to add a deck to our small cabin, but fear that it will ruin the "cabiny" look. If the deck is too large, might make the cabin look like a boat. Any ideas?

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 12:57

Well, ours has a small deck across the front (i.e view side.) It is the entire width of the cabin (22') and 8' deep. The cabin is 22x26'

Here's a photo (during shell construction, but it shows the deck/porch pretty well.
cabin_phase_4_exteri.jpg
cabin_phase_4_exteri.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 13:13 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Are you putting the deck on a gable on or other end? I think decks look great on any cabin, especially if you use some rustic looking railing/ballisters etc.

bobrok
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 18:56

Our cabin is 20' x 20' and the deck is roughly 14 x 6. Built with the slope of the land on a mountainside overlooking a lake. Works well for a few ppl but not a crowd. Planning on installing a retractable awning soon. Very open and with no railings to speak of. This affords a nice unobstructed view down to the water also.
1st view
1st view
2nd view
2nd view

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 19:00

I like this look too, with the wrap-around deck.
North_Fork_Cabin_3D_.jpg
North_Fork_Cabin_3D_.jpg

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 18:54 - Edited by: PlicketyCat

It's pretty common up here to see a 4 or 8' porch on at least one end of a cabin. Technically, these are porches, not decks, since they are under the main cabin roof. I think with a smaller cabin, having a porch rather than a deck keeps it from looking like a boat or awkward. My neighbor has one similar to this:

Wrap around cabin porch

There are a few folks with decks, I don't have pics of their cabins handy, but this is close:

Cabin with deck (uncovered

An open deck or patio (deck with roof separate from the house) tends to look better on a larger cabin. On small cabins, they have a tendency to look stuck on as an afterthought and a little odd (at least IMO).

Cabin with wraparound deck

bugs
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 19:15

If you have a small/micro cabin like we have a covered deck/veranda/porch adds a great deal to the overall living space (mud room, place to run propane appliances, place to have an afternoon nap/outdoor kitchen etc etc) as opposed to just a "deck" without a roof.

The tv show the Beverly Hillbillies they had a wonderful veranda porch on their cabin. If I recall there was a lot of whittlin' and rockin' and sippin' goin' on. Same as "The Jerk's" family cabin.

To me the "porch" is essential to a cabin.

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 19:38

Jam -- are you building the cabin and want to add a deck/porch on to the plan? or do you already have a built cabin and you're looking to extend the living space?

If you're already built, you may want to consider extending the house roof over the addition so you have a porch rather than a deck. This is usually easier at the gable end. On the eave side unless you have a low-pitch roof or really tall side walls, you'll need to change the pitch of the roof over the porch so you don't end up with banging your head on the porch roof.

A deck would work, but I'd say you wouldn't want it any wider than half the width of the cabin, and no more than 1/3 the total sq ft of the cabin... else it might start looking odd. For instance, on a 16x24' cabin, you could do a 16' deck across the end, but you'd only want it 8' deep. Or a longer deck down the 24' side, but you'd only want it 4-8 foot depending on long it is. It's all about balance and ratios :)

hilltop
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 20:18

My cabin with deck, 6ft deep.
Aug_2010_015.JPG
Aug_2010_015.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 21:06

small cabin with 10x12 deck
DSC04670.JPG
DSC04670.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.