Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin from poplar trees
Diamond
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 00:01

I'm wondering what you guys think of the Butt and Pass style cabins? Just trying to find some info on it and any suggestions that would be helpful. I'm new to this forum and I've enjoyed reading all articles. So Please help me out. Also I have plenty of yellow poplar, would it be good to build from them? I could save alot of money by using them {as I have 3 acres}, well 1acre to build on thats been cleared the rest in all poplar, many very straight trees.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 11:10 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Check this thread on using other wood in building cabin.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 12:33

Reply from Diamond:
I read the threads CabinBuilder thanks.what would be the best way to build a cabin with popular?Do you or anyone out there know anything about the Butt and Pass style?I would be interested in any one's suggestions.I wanted to live in the cabin that I build.Maybe a 30x30,not made up my mind yet. Also on a tight budget.Please let me know.I'm all ears thanks, diamond

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 19:17 - Edited by: PlicketyCat

Poplar, aspens, cottonwoods (basically all the Populus species) can be problematic for log cabin building because they don't hold up as well to the weather as dense pines and harder hardwoods. They are an extremely soft hardwood that doesn't stand up to exterior conditions well without deep roof overhangs and vigilant maintenance. They are a beautifully workable wood however, so it might be more beneficial to use them for interior projects (floor and walls finishes and cabinetry) if possible.

Butt & Pass would do just as well as any other method, regardless of wood species. Which method you choose is a matter of style preference, building skill, and the climate and settling potential of your site. Butt & Pass is certainly easier than Saddle Notching all those corners, and looks a little snazzier than plain square butt corner.

Good article: http://www.bearfortlodge.com/bearfort_lodge/2006/10/log-home-construction-methods-not ched-or-butt-and-pass-part-i/

fpw
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 21:16 - Edited by: fpw

Poplar works fine as long as it is sized properly for your building. Plan on making sure your roof overhangs are adequate. As PlicketCat mentioned, you have to keep the water off the logs as any wood will rot if you let the wet get to it.

I like saddle notching and chinking, dovetail notching and chinking or full scribed log walls. Any of these techniques can be learned without much effort.

Butt and pass would be pretty quick if you have access to a sawmill. Even at that, I think dovetail wouldn't take much longer.

I find cutting saddle notches in poplar is a little more difficult than working red or white pine, but not much; you get used to it quick.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.