Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / self-winterizing cabin plumbing
241comp
# Posted: 13 Aug 2011 17:15

I am attempting to design my cabin to be self-winterizing such that when the water is shut off, the entire plumbing system is automatically winterized. For the pressure side, I'm considering feeding the cabin from a frost-free hydrant with a large drain field so the entire pressure side can drain out. I'm still working on the details as this will be a well-based system.

Does anyone have experience with in-well pressure tanks? How about other frost-proof well water systems?

On the drain side, does anyone have experience with waterless p-traps (such as HepvO)?

Malamute
# Posted: 13 Aug 2011 18:51 - Edited by: Malamute

I plumb mine with a low point drain and valve so it can be drained out easily. I have a well pit with my pressure tank in it and the drain. I run off the water in the pressure tank thru the drain in the house or the outside hydrant, then back drain and blow out the lines with compressed air. Not sure you could make it instantly self winterizing. Don't know if it's worthwhile making a large enough drain field under a hydrant, why not just let the pressure tank water run out a spigot or that hydrant?

I use regular P traps and use RV antifreeze in them.

Never had trouble with mine. I have a separate bathouse and cabin, with different shutoffs and drains in the well pit. Can do similar with a crawl space. I plumbed one house with a crawlspace with a cleanout in the septic line close to the presure tank for winterizing easily (place to drain off the water without making a mess). That place, like mine back drains fairly easily by gravity, I just blow the lines for insurance.

I put low point drains in any house I build, even "civilized" ones.

Just
# Posted: 14 Aug 2011 12:11

If you went with a submersable pump [requires a 5 in well casing ].and a pitless adapter with a self draining under ground hydrent , the well would need no frostproofing or draining!! then it would be just a matter of making everything in the cabin run down hill to one or two taps to winterize the system

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Aug 2011 20:22 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I'd just use a outside faucet located in the floors rim joist. Tee'd off from the supply line. Shut the water off, drain the system by opening the outside faucet. As for water tank, you need its one drain pipe. And the pee traps, you can get RV antifreeze, its not poisonous like the regular stuff. Its made for your drains,. pour it in and thats it.

Now in my cabin area, we have real cold winters and the well systems are under ground in a vault, ie some of those large concrete tiles, bell mounted at the top with a cover. You can climb down in them like a manhole.

Malamute
# Posted: 14 Aug 2011 20:27

Thats basically what a well pit is, a septic tank without the baffle, with a manhole riser out the top. I only use them where I can't put the pressure tank in a crawl space or basement. I used one for my current cabin, since it's on piers.

crosswind
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:07

I agree with most above. Put drains in your water lines at the low points.
I went with an in ground bladder tank below the frost line right at the well. For winter, all you do is loosen the pitless adapter and everything drains back to the well head.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.