Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Malamute / I have a question for you (floor)
neb
# Posted: 17 Sep 2011 18:10

What kind of floor do you use in your cabin's and how do you heat them?

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Sep 2011 01:47 - Edited by: Malamute

The one I'm living in now has 3/4" t&g plywood floor, and is insulated with R-19 (I think?) fibreglass underneath, and covered underneath the joists with 7/16 OSB to keep the varmints out of it. The cabin is built on piers and skirted for now with scrap OSB. It will be more solidly closed in as I do the addition. Not sure what I'll do with the floors when I do the addition, I may do simple pine T&G thru the whole cabin.

I heat with wood, and have an electric heater for backup in case I leave for long enough to cause a problem if the cold soaked thru before I got home and got the fire going.

My "real house" I'll eventually build will probaby have oak and tile floors.

neb
# Posted: 18 Sep 2011 09:46

Will your real house be a cabin type home or modern style home found on main street America?

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Sep 2011 10:42 - Edited by: Malamute

It will be handbuilt log, with some stone work, like a fireplace, some lower walls stone, and porch post piers with half stone bases. I like the grey, dry stack style stone work. Probably not more than about 1000 sq ft on the main level, with a basement for extra space, like laundry, reloading room, spare bedroom for company, and storage for seasonal clothes, and all that junk we seem to collect and think is priceless. The house will be a central part with kitchen, dining and living room, a bedroom off to the north, a sun room on the south, and a porch extension of the roof line on the east, plenty of windows. May do a wrap around porch also, at least a small porch on the west off the bedroom. The sun room will have a walk out patio with a 3'-4' bermed stone wall for wind break and privacy on the west and south side, an outdoor fireplace, and a small greenhouse on the side of the house. To the west faces the mountains, the south for the sun, and the north to see the mountains, northern lights, and first light if the sun on the mountains in the morning from the bedroom. The shape will be like a cross or "t shape seen from above. I'd like to do it in the style that Yellowstone Traditions does their work in, traditional style, and looks 75 years old the day it's done. If you haven't seen their work, google the name, they have a remarkable web site with some very cool houses. Lots of interesting detail work. Some of their doors are very cool. They do mostly larger houses, but the style and detail ideas are applicable to any size house or cabin.

neb
# Posted: 18 Sep 2011 11:36

What a great site and there are some great cabins. Those cabins are out of this world. I see what you mean by the structure and vintage look from new. Thanks for sharing that site.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.