Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pre-made or not - trusses
jrbarnard
# Posted: 18 Sep 2011 19:18

So, I plan things to death.. heh, I hate to mess things up due to not planning ;)

Trusses - Let's assume I am doing a span of 24ft. Now, I am not a big "2-story" person, so I was hoping to build the roof with as much head room as possible. If I were to engineer/build a cieling joist to span 24', I would assume I would be using something like 2x6's or 2x8's and doubling them and staggering them to produce a 24' beam, correct?

This would preclude me either having a loft or attic or simply having a 8' ceiling.

To me, that is a waste. Now, since I am a novice, my concern is the time and waste of me trying to build my own scissor style trusses.

The other method is me buying pre-made trusses.

Since I was going the pre-made route, that meant I had to cut down on my scope of making a 28x32 cabin to a 24x24 one.. heh, which is fine.

I would rather have the 28x32, I just have to find a way to keep the costs down. Right now, my biggest costs are the pre-made trusses and the hardi plank exterior panels.

Ideas?

This is for a SW Texas cabin. I know.. a hunting cabin so does not need to be so extravagant, but I am having fun with this AND I want to build something that lasts. I love some of the ideas and pictures on here, and I flat out love the idea of a log cabin, but those appear to be far outside our price range (trying to stay below $8000 and also trying to do home depot or lowes as we have accounts with them and it is easier for us.. heh)

Thanks!

Sorry for all the posts, I know I am new, but I really enjoy the planning stuff ;)

Russ

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 21:47

Russ, usually scissor trusses are engineered. Unless yo ucan get them to engineer them, then built yourself. But they have the special clamps to squeeze those metal splice plates. Engineered trusses makes the job go quick and you can do it with just 2X4 every 24". You can go 32 feet if you want.

Or you can do the rafter system. Will there be a load bearing wall in the middle? The ceiling joist on a rafter system will have to be big. The trusses on a long span in the way to go. Once you have the walls framed in, you hang the trusses and sheet it, you will bang it out pretty quick. With the spans you are talking about, I'd bet it would be cheaper. Time the delivery the same day you have the walls all up, they can lay them on top of the wall plate. Lay it out dead nuts of you sheet rock will be a pain to nail.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 21:52

I planned to have scissor trusses made at Home Depot for whatever I built. I did not want to sheetrock the ceiling as I kinda like the look of the open rafters.. heh, but I will if I have to in order to add insulation.

I sure do love the log cabin type buildings, but that is far out of my budget.

R

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 22:06 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Well, shootrokc it, then blow in insulation or slide in batts from the top. Then get some of that 4X6 header material and make fake ceiling beams. Hang then under the ceiling. Or better yet, get round peeled logs, have a mill cut them down the center and use those. Looks rustic. Then get one and have it cut into quarters and put those in your wall corners, it will appear to be framed with round log timbers.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.