Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Purlin spacing
purlin
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 16:25

I have a few questions about a camp I am building. Can readers please share your wisdom?

The roof span from wall to ridge is going to be 18 feet

The roof is going to consist of the following: tongue and groove boards(3/4"), 2 layers of 2" rigid insulation, 2x4's flat, 5/8 advantec, winterguard roof underlayment and certainteed shingles. Does this sound ok?

The round spruce log purlins will be no less than 8" in diameter and will not span more than 12 ' from gable to gable (a wall and a king truss will break it up)

The roof pitch is 9/12

How many purlins do I need between the wall and the ridge? I've looked in several places on the internet and have been unable to find any tables or advice that can give me a sure answer. Can you tell me?

Malamute
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 21:56

I don't have any formulas, but the fact that you aren't using real rafters over the purlins will have some bearing on the span. A seat of the pants idea would be two per side. If you were going to rafter it, one would likely be fine.

purlin
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 07:48

Thanks for your help.I was trying to decide between 3 or 4.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.