Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Russian windows 2.0
raisadan
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 04:59

Well, the windows are in the bucks and really look good and tight. I noticed that the vertical bucks extend from an inch to a 1/2" depending on the size of each log butted against the buck....inside and out. So, what I want to know, what is a way to install the window frames themselves so they're all straight and look good? I took a photo on another log house window nearby...this is the look I'm after. Thanks so much, yet again.
Window "frame"
Window "frame"

Malamute
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 11:01

I would ask the local builders to show you how they do it, if it isn't apparent from looking at windows in other cabins. At the very least, perhaps hire a guy to put one in to show you, that way he makes something for showing you.

raisadan
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 11:58

Thanks Malamute,
Remember this is Russia. Things work very, very differently here. You can hire someone who is "experienced", agree on a price, either, they finish the job and ask for more money, show up drunk or don't show up at all. The BS here is not to be believed. Count your blessings and wish me luck.
]10-4

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Sep 2011 16:56 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I'd frame in each window opening with that 4X6 header material on its side (wide end pointing into the window opening), bottom and top run, then fit the side in between, so it can actually act as a header for the log about it too (you wil get soem shrinkage whent he logs dry) , make it square. Make the opening the size of the window being installed, maybe an inch bigger on top and bottom, shim as needed. I'd cut down the larger logs that lift up the trim (bucks as you called it) so it is able to set flat on the header/window frame, then logs much bigger, cut back so the buck can fit flat and I'd chamfer them at a 45' angle if they are taller than the buck. This is just one of many ways you can do it. I'd. Finish inside with maybe some 1/4 round to hide the shim gap after a nice sill in installed.

raisadan
# Posted: 29 Sep 2011 23:46

Thanks Toyota !

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.