Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ideas for a cool cabin floor
dstraate
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 10:59

Hello all,

So our cabin is done from a fundamental standpoint, but we are left with a plywood floor. It's perfect for right now, but as time and funds allow, we might want to go over top of it with something unique, sharp, and eye catching.

What have you done/seen, that really made a neat floor?

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 12:22

A slate floor would look really cool in your cabin.

dvgchef
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 13:22

Just saw your cabin - it looks fantastic! I would have to agree with trollbridge - slate could be very cool in that space. If the thought of a rock floor turns you off, put in a wood floor that matches your loft interior, accented with small animal skin rugs to further soften the look. Check Danish Modern design books, they often have unusual and good ideas.

Montanan
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 14:35

Are you wanting to stay away from wood?

dstraate
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 10:06

I'm not particularly averse to wood, heck the whole cabin is made out of it, so from a matching standpoint, wood makes sense. I'm just wanting to do some thing really neat.

bugs
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 11:33

How about cork or bamboo?

We find slate/ceramic tile a bit cold on the feet. We have some in our house. Also when you drop any glass on the tile it just does not break the glass shatters into a gazzillion little shards that can be a "bloody pain"(... literally !!) to clean up.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 11:52 - Edited by: trollbridge

Saw a floor made out of all pennies on the internet once. It looked really cool! If you start collecting them now...

...penny for your thoughts :)

Montanan
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 12:42

We considered cork- that might be a good option for you. It's "green," durable, and soft. Plus you can get it in many different looks (depending on how much you want to spend.)

Becca
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 12:50

I was considering either bamboo or cork, but decided on cork. I just love the way it looks and feels, plus the sound and heat insulating qualities along with the flame, water, mold, and mildew resistance and sustainability sealed the deal for me.

dstraate
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 12:52

Well, the way the economy is going, pennies might actually be pretty cost effective. I wonder if they put them down into mastic and ran some sort of a clear laquer over the top.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 13:01

It looked like that is what they did. Is was really cool looking!

Montanan
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 16:17

Are you able to find the photo? I'd love to see it. We're planning to do our breakfast bar counter in bottle caps and do the clear lacquer over it (or some kind of clear resin.)

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 17:26

I could not remember where I had seen it but I did a google search and found it again.The floor is at the Standard Grill in the Standard Hotel.
I guess it amounts to 2.50 a sq.foot
There is a mesh that you use that has a sticky side you put the pennies to and some type of mortar it sets into,then you grout and seal with an epoxy. I think the mesh is 12x12. My Google search also led to a picture of whole walls done the same way and talk of counter tops too. It does look really wonderful and if the other materials are not that expensive the price is terrific!!! Might figure out a place that needs this in our cabin!

hattie
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 19:03

I just googled penny floors and they look really neat. Wish I had heard of it before we did all our renos. It would look great in the bathroom.

smitty
# Posted: 29 Sep 2011 08:45

I've seen walls done with broken bottles and such.. It looked really neat, especially in the light.. I imagine you could do that on a floor as well, as long as nothing sharp was poking out.. Ouch!

bugs
# Posted: 29 Sep 2011 10:34

Another thought..to keep in the cabin/outdoors theme... would be to use slices of logs (4 to 14"in diameter) about 1 or 2",s thick and lay them as a tiles and resin them in.

Might be kind of interesting.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Sep 2011 13:20

Bugs, I saw this done and it does look cool. Also saw it done with old barn board beams which have squared off sides. It looked like old cobblestones.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.