Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / building over time...?
jrbarnard
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 08:55

Ok..strange question.. but you all would know.

I really really want to have my cabin on top of that dang hill. The key here is, I could not get all the parts up that hill on a semi.. but I COULD get a lot either up on a F-350 OR on a Home Depot rental flatbed.. right? Might make a few trips.. but it can be done as I can drive a 2-wheel drive up it just fine.

So.. the problem I face is.. building over time... i.e. weekend building, to keep the load carrying low.

Here is my issue: I would be worried, for instance, if I built the base one weekend, which I can, that the entire thing would start getting wet and deteriorate over the 1-3 months it would take to haul it all up there and build the thing.

Is the weather going to hurt it much if it sits out there under a tarp or twenty if I have to build this thing slowly?

Russ

fpw
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 10:27

Over time no problem. I spent years building the Stump Ranch (www.peelinglogs.blogspot.com). If it is tough to get to, you are bound to learn a great deal about hauling things, skidding, and rigging.

I found a guy that sells tarps what used to be ex-billboards. 40' x 60' for, like, 60 bucks. Very useful.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 11:03 - Edited by: bobrok

A good secure waterproof tarp should do OK if you are there to maintain it regularly and if you set it up so that it drains well and doesn't pool water. Maybe even double-tarp.
I had just a cheapo tarp over my shed roof (sheathing and felt materials only) for two entire years, up to 30" of snow avg on the ground up here), and I finally got around to installing the roof a couple of weeks ago. Removed the tarp and the roof was still perfect; nothing even wet underneath.

Now during the same period I had a bunch of sheet materials left over that I had wanted to save so I wrapped them all up in an old swimming pool cover, jacked them off the ground, and had them under my deck at camp for the same two years. Last week I uncovered them and had to cut everything up and haul it away..mold..stink, etc. Lost everything.

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 12:42 - Edited by: trollbridge

What a shame bobrok!! We went to use a couple bags of concrete a couple weekends ago that we thought had been saved well enough and they were brick hard! Your loss is a lot more $$$.

jrbarnard, don't let this scare you- we have been building for over 2 years. We haul up what we will be needing and extra stuff we store either inside or under the cabin. We sealed our sub floor with water proofing and that helped-no swelling. It does remind me of one of our not so good moments though - early spring last year we got up to the cabin and the majority of our tar paper had blown off the roof. Then it poured rain and we had a mess inside and some panic set in as we did not want the insulation in the floor getting soaked. We scattered every bucket we could find around to collect as much rain as possible while we ran to town to buy the biggest tarp we could find. I won't go into detail but let's just say it would have made a great comedy skit watching just me and my husband try to get a 40x80 tarp up and over about 26 feet of vertical height. Amazingly we did manage though and did not kill each other! We lay in bed that night hearing it blowing in the high winds and I half expected to find the cabin air born by morning:) Needless to say, the very next weekend the shingling was completed!

You can do it too!
I might add that neither of us stepped foot on that wet ,slippery 12x12 pitch roof to get that tarp on!! It is currently rolled up in a ball still needing to be dealt with(it is ripped to shreds)and I cringe every time I see it-Grrrrrr.
100_4643.JPG
100_4643.JPG
100_4644.JPG
100_4644.JPG
100_4645.JPG
100_4645.JPG

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 15:43

It wasn't all that bad because they were all recycled bldg materials from another structure I disassembled. I try to reuse everything I can get my hands on so I didn't mean to suggest that I had lost a bunch of valuable stuff.
I appreciate the sentiment, though.
BTW did you see my post and pictures from a couple of weeks ago on my generator install in my shed up at camp? I know you were interested.

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 16:33

Oh, yes I did. Thanks a bunch! We won't be getting to that this year but will keep what you did in mind. Hope you can get good ventilation so it isn't so hot-keep me posted.

Just
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 17:35

jrbarnard
I would not use osb for subfloor if you are not going to be closed in for a winter or two . A good grade of plywood will save you a lot of grief !

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 18:14

Quoting: Just
I would not use osb for subfloor if you are not going to be closed in for a winter or two . A good grade of plywood will save you a lot of grief !

Oh, yeah. Gotta agree with this, unless you want to chance your floor swelling to 2x it's thickness from moistute/water infiltration. Perhaps even exterior rated plywood would be in order if you aren't closed in.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.