Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How water proof can cedar be?
jjlrrw
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 12:48

I am in the process of re-doing the bath in our cabin, it is small 5' x 6 ' it is on a pored cement floor so the drains for the toilet, sink and shower are set.

The shower needs to be < 28"x28" it won't be very glamorous but will get the job done. I have looked at enclosers, wall systems and base units but none of the drains will line up.

The floor is already slopped to the drain so I am thinking using tile for the floor. For the walls I am not sure but was thinking doing tongue and groove cedar, finishing with a sealer and calling it good.

It won't have everyday use but still don't want issues right away either.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
john

Just
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 13:29

The ceder would be nice but i understand your concern. !!what about some cement board and some apoxy paint floor to ceiling ??

smitty
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 13:39

Idea.. If you are putting in a shower stall in the floor. How about a wrap around shower curtain that wraps all the way around. That will keep the water off the cedar.

TomChum
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 13:49 - Edited by: TomChum

I have cedar shingles on my cabin. The guy who split them showed me the shingles on his house - 37 years old and still good, however tending towards the end of their life. These were outside in the weather, exposed to water, with no treatments whatsoever. And not "seldom used".

Using cedar in the shower; the soaps and other goops might discolor it and make it look ratty. Also you want good ventilation, so it gets a chance to dry out. But it fits the 'cabin' persona, I like the idea. If you put a coating on it, consider that the coating might someday lift off, in an UNEVEN manner. I'd tend towards a treatment that beads the water off, and not an actual sealant barrier. Find out what is done to a wood sauna, there are many years of experience there, if you can find it.

Personally, for a cabin, I would prefer 15 years of cedar over 30 years looking like an apartment/condo/commercial building. You can tell I like the rustic look.

jjlrrw
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 13:59

Thanks for all the ideas please keep them coming. Tom I agree the look of the cedar is a big plus. I wounder if I used a Thompson wood sealer like used on an outdoor deck.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Sep 2011 18:19

mildew, mildew, mildew = brown stains on the cedar. OK if you can live with that

jjlrrw
# Posted: 3 Oct 2011 19:18

^^^
I was wondering about that hoping with a good layer of sealer the water would run off fast and not be a problem. Maybe back to the drawing board

TomChum
# Posted: 4 Oct 2011 13:39 - Edited by: TomChum

Brown stains look like hell on paint or other uniform surfaces. However, brown stains on cedar might not be even be visible.

A variegated surface and color might be preferable. Thomsons water seal sounds reasonable. If Thomson's can protect a deck, horizontal, with foot traffic, ultraviolet, and outdoors 24/7/365 ... for YEARS... it should survive a long time being vertical, indoors with occasional use. I'd research what finishes are used in a cedar sauna and how long a cedar sauna lasts. You are not the pioneer, this all has been done you just have to ask in the right place.

Maybe plan the design with how you might change it out if it became unattractive. It might be easy to renew. Maybe removing the wood, or maybe just bleach. I'd rather have "easy to renew" than "permanently sterile".

jjlrrw
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 23:00

Well I am almost complete, one more light sanding and another good coat of sealer. Then need to trim and more sealer on the trim.

I went with 5/16" thick by 3.5" T&G cedar, Good timing Menards had it on sale ~$12 for 14sq ft so I have ~$100 including the sealer. I sealed the back and ends prior to install, after install applied three good coats letting it run down each groove trying to seal and keep water from getting behind the boards. The tile I used on the floor I also ran up the wall 8" then placed the cedar on top.

So far we have been wiping the walls down after each shower not a big deal been using the towel after drying.

It looks really nice lets hope it lasts????? Next trip up I will take a picture and try and post.

Martian
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 07:38

Our boat had a Teak shower enclosure. Wiping was a ritual after each shower. The only area of concern is at the bottom of the wood; make sure the end grain is well sealed or the moisture will migrate up an inch or so and discolor/rot the wood. Good ventilation is the key to keeping the shower looking good.

Tom

jjlrrw
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 12:48

Thanks for the tip Tom! I sealed the end grain good and also left a small gap between the cedar and tile and filled with caulk, the wood is a bit thinner than the tile so I have a slope where the water can run off the wood down the caulk then on to the tile. time will tell.

jjlrrw
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 15:30

The bathroom is about 95% complete in these picture only a few pieces of trim here and there.
IMG_0065_Large.jpg
IMG_0065_Large.jpg
IMG_0066_Large.jpg
IMG_0066_Large.jpg
IMG_0067_Large.jpg
IMG_0067_Large.jpg
IMG_0068_Large.jpg
IMG_0068_Large.jpg

jjlrrw
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 16:30

Well it's been about 1.5 years using this shower about 3 times a week average, so far the wood is holding up great looks just like the day I installed it.

We do have a squeegee we use after each shower and then wipe the wall down most of the time.

So if you are in a bind and have an odd size to work with this is an option.

Kudzu
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 17:08

It looks great, good job.

ecbronte
# Posted: 23 Jan 2020 21:45

Hi John,

Not sure if this thread is still being followed, but would be curious to hear how your cedar shower has held up in the long term.

Cheers,
Emily

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.