Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / A Question For The Group (opinion on color)
raisadan
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 06:53

Hi All !
It's Dan from Russia, yet again. I'd like to have your honest opinion on color". My wife is in a quandry about this and frankly Scarlett......Anyhow, here goes: the metal roof is a burgundy color the outside window frames" are in, sealed with a clear exterior waterproof "varnish", caulked and ready for painting. should the window frames be the same color of the roof or would that look too busy? Your input appreciated.
Best,
Dan
unpainted window frame, with metal roof above
unpainted window frame, with metal roof above
front of house, framesnot in yet, same color as roof????
front of house, framesnot in yet, same color as roof????
another view unfpainted window "frame"
another view unfpainted window "frame"

PA_Bound
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 09:33

Here's another way of looking at this...
raisadan1edited.JPG
raisadan1edited.JPG
raisadan2edited.JPG
raisadan2edited.JPG
raisadan3edited.JPG
raisadan3edited.JPG

PA_Bound
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 09:35 - Edited by: PA_Bound

I probably wouldn't trust my opinion, but I think I like it painted like the roof- especially the front. But what do I know...

raisadan
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 10:11

Thanks PA Bound...how did you do that? Very cool?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 11:43 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I was thinking painted looks OK, either a darker color or what you have looks good. Hey, does your front door open outward? Will sliding snow from the roof trap you inside???

Man, you have done a fantastic job on that log cabin. I love how you fitted the bead board on the gable ends to the roof shingles. Nice attention to details. Look great, so does the window trim/color according to PA bound.

hattie
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 13:00

raisadan: Your place is looking amazing!! Congratulations! Do you have to paint the trim or can it just be left sealed? If you have to paint it, I'd do the same colour as the roof. (Cool job PA_Bound *S*)

One suggestion is to put some kind of a porch cover over your front door. It will keep the snow away from the door and also keep the ice off your front step. Where we live here in BC Canada, we get some pretty cold winters. Our first winter I wiped out on our front step because it had iced up (black ice). First thing Hubby did after that was to cover the step with a small overhang. It solved the problem.

With your steep roof, you will get big avalanches of snow when you close your front door. A covered porch will protect you when the door is opened and closed. You can get seriously injured from snow avalanches coming off the roof.

raisadan
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 13:46

Thanks so much everyone! I too am pleased with everything. There will be a vestibule entry-way built in fron of the door. It will be about 2mx3m 2 windows with a metal roof same as the house....It's sort of an atrium/porch..it will have to wait until next spring..already getting cold here. My wife finally agreed on painting the window trim burgundy to match the metal roof after seeing all your posts here. Good work guys! thanks!.The porch/atrium/ vestibule will make sure no snow gets on our entryway. So hattie from BC, I'm from a little town in Washingtron State just across the water from Victoria BC...we could see the lights from the city at night. Sure miss that part of the world......so different here in Russia!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Oct 2011 23:50

raisdan, I live in Washington. We have a few other members here from Washington state.

raisadan
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 02:42

Nice to know there are fellow members here from the Evergreen State. I lived in North Central Washington for many, many years: Wenatchee-Leavenworth.....I've got a daughter and grandson in Chelan. Decided some years back to move to the Olympic Peninsula....... moving to Russia has it's pluses and minuses...mostly minuses......I sure miss everyone back "home" and can't wait until my next visit in 2/12.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 12:39 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

My cabin I built is in north central WA, NE of Omak. small world. I live at the southern end of Puget Sound. Born here, lived here all my life. :D

raisadan
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 22:20

I know NCW very well. I worked at the WVC clinic for almost 20 years...we had a branch clinic in Omak too, so I made lot's of trips there......originally from Bend, Oregon...been in the PNW most of my life. I always liked it around Republic...it was away from the rez and a bit more away from everyhting..
Dan

nicalisa
# Posted: 3 Oct 2011 00:03

:) Try a stain instead of paint....Home Depot has some stain that looks just like paint. It will keep you from having it crack and flake off. We did our place and it has kept great so far all of our surfaces:) Remember, Stain sticks and paint peels:)

hattie
# Posted: 3 Oct 2011 01:51

Excellent advice nicalisa....We made the mistake of painting the trim on our place with paint and are still working on replacing it with stain. You definitely want STAIN! *S*

raisadan
# Posted: 3 Oct 2011 05:11

Thanks for the advise....I'm in Russia...so will see what available...the trim is already sealed with exterior clear coat...ok to put stain on top of that?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.