Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / estimating cabin weight? Foundation idea...
saltbranch
# Posted: 8 Oct 2011 23:16

Here is my idea. Build the sub frame with 2" square tubing about 16-18" tall and wide enough to slide up into a 20' Utility trailer(83" inside to inside), and have the floor joists clear the top of the trailers fenders.On top of the square tube frame is where the floor joists would set.Build cabin up from there.(similar to a cab over camper setup for pickup truck beds)
This would allow me to build the cabin at home, then move to our families property. I am thinking 12' wide and 20-24' long.Using 2x6 joists,2x4 studs for the walls,T-111 siding and metal roof, one room with no interior walls exept for the bathroom.How would you estimate the weight? I have a 12k capacity low profile trailer. Over width trip permits run around 50.00 or so and @ 12' I can get through the gates at our place.

Thoughts, opinions?

hattie
# Posted: 8 Oct 2011 23:34

Hubby says:

Using a steel tubing supplier site on the internet, look up the weight per foot for the size and wall thickness tubing you are going to use and multiply by the number of feet. Do this for each different size. That will give you a weight for the steel.

A lumber yard or mill can probably give you the weight per foot for each different size of lumber. If not, you can probably find that on the internet. Multiply the weight per foot by the total number of feet for each size.

Do the same for the other components, ie. plywood, etc. Add all the numbers up and this will give you an idea on the weight.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.