Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Big Foot Pier Forms
rlsm16118
# Posted: 10 Oct 2011 21:12

Anybody have any experience with Big Foot Pier footer forms? if so would BF24 footers completely under ground spaced 6 foot apart with the 10 inch tubes at 24" above ground hold a 28x40 cypress sided cabin/home with asphalt roof? i was thinking on 4 rows of piers for a total of 28 piers using beams on top of each row with 2x10 floor joists @16"c with 1 1/8" ply flooring. my concern is that i have recently moved to NE Texas with a sandy clay loam soil. we have NO codes and No inspections for me to pry any info from local building department. According to the frost line it is 5 inches. The bottom of the pier post footers will be 18 to 20 inches under ground. i have Built my last two homes myself in Florida during my life BUT on concrete slab floor so i am in new territory as well as pier construction.
Thanks for any info in advance

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Oct 2011 23:08

Welcome.Seems like too many piers to me, I would think you could spread them out further than that.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 12 Oct 2011 13:32

Check the Bigfoot website tech page for their load tables. That will tell you the bearing capacity of each size form on different soil types. Then you just got to estimate how much your cabin will weigh and do the math. As a starting point, you might figure on 15 lbs per square foot of floor area. 5 lbs / sqft of wall area, and 10 / sqft for the roof (assuming you have no real snow load there). If you're going to have a heavy masonry fireplace, that will need its own foundation. I'd probably go with three rows, i.e. one center beam and the two sides.

rlsm16118
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 16:03

Thanks for the info on the estmated wall, roof psf etc. i guess i was way over kill. thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.