Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Input, please
mrmiji
# Posted: 12 Oct 2011 20:39 - Edited by: mrmiji

I'm going to start my build after general rifle season.
It'll be 8' long, 8' wide and 12' tall. Picture in your mind a trap shooting tower. I'd considered an 8' long, 12'wide, and 8' tall configuration but moved away from it for a few reasons. First, I'm putting down a concrete slab and it'll be a 1/3 reduction in concrete costs. The same holds true for tresses and roof shingles. Essentially, if you put an 8' long, 12'wide, 8' tall on its side, that's what I'll have but what I'll do is put a ladder and a loft in it. Yeah, it's not a full second story but I figure I'll have plenty of headroom for cots. I'll put a small Lopi stove I bought for chump change with minimal use and install a window AC unit I can run on a generator to make it all season. I'll also be adding a duct from the top of the loft to the bottom of the floor with a manually controlled port on the top and bottom on each level. With a centrally located and reversible 12 volt fan, I'll be able to manage the thermocline.
I'll be using asphalt shingles on the roof and skinning the slides with concrete shingles that were left on my property by the PO. I'll put three windows in the loft and five downstairs. I'm using steel French doors as I'll also be storing stuff in it and need the flexibility. I'll tile the floor as well.

Attached is a photo with a yellow dot that shows (barely) where we're building. It'll be facing away from the power lines. We're at the crest of the butte and the view is quite nice.

Thoughts?
buildsite.jpg
buildsite.jpg

neb
# Posted: 12 Oct 2011 20:49

Sounds like you a plan. Where are you located at?

mrmiji
# Posted: 12 Oct 2011 20:52

I'm near Longdale Oklahoma. I honestly don't even know what the postal address would be even if I wanted mail. Actually, a mail box would be nice...fire starter from junk mail.

mgc
# Posted: 13 Oct 2011 06:09

mrmiji, we started with the 8 by 8 shed, pulled the roof off and added the loft. There is a 2 foot pony wall added to the top plate of the first floor and a very steep roof on top of the pony wall, that was so we had room to stand up in the loft, very comfortable that way. Cots fit against outside walls with access ladder in the middle. Head room is important up stairs. Ventilation duct is a great idea, we need to add that to our place. Sounds like a very solid plan, can't wait to see it.
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
DSC00251.JPG
DSC00251.JPG

mrmiji
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 23:51

Looking at a Farko LWM metal ladder http://www.fakrousa.com/htmle/231.php for access to the loft. I'll have to shorten the thing as I'm keeping the first floor low at 6'6" to preserve 5' of loft height at the highest point. I'm going with underlayment and shingles and a shallow (3":12") slope. I've settled on a direct vent propane heater http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200362089_200362089 downstairs and a window AC unit upstairs. I already have 7' long XL cots that'll go upstairs.

Lori wants to put a generator out at the ranch and I'm probably going to build a shed for it that'll share the room with a shower/toilet/septic but that'll be down the road.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2011 10:25

Congratulations on getting started soon!!! Let the fun begin!! Don't forget lot's of pictures too.

mrmiji
# Posted: 19 Oct 2011 09:50 - Edited by: mrmiji

My last construction was my hunting blind and there were things I didn't like about how it turned out...scaling and such. I built this as a bit of an experiment and I'm glad I did. The top windows are 3X3 and the bottom ones are 3X5 and I think I need to go with 3X4.
DSC02296.jpg
DSC02296.jpg
DSC02298.jpg
DSC02298.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Oct 2011 10:31

We did the same thing-built a model out of foam core.Just a suggestion,if you have not already bought your windows one thing I recommend is going to a building reuse store or craigs list and see if you can get some used windows in good condition and plan your cabin around that. You will save a lot of money.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.