Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Question about t&g floor
chainsrgone
# Posted: 27 Oct 2011 23:06

I'm planning on using t&g flooring. The building is going to be EXACTLY 16x24. What I need to know is do they count the tongue as part of the 4 feet? In other words, will I get these installed and have to cut an itty bitty piece to finish it out?

Thanks

larry
# Posted: 27 Oct 2011 23:22 - Edited by: larry

a 4'x8' sheet of t&g is 4x8. what is added by the tunge at one end is deducted at the grove end. so 12 sheets will cover perfectly.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 27 Oct 2011 23:38

Awesome. Thanks. That's been driving me nuts.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 00:00

The T&G OSB I am familiar with covers 47 1/2", not 48". It starts life as a 48" wide sheet and then is milled. Maybe this varies from place to place, mill to mill, but every brand I've seen/measured/used around here (NM) covers 47 1/2". Maybe some mills do produce a true 48" wide sheet but I've not been fortunate enough to find them.

So the width of 16 feet would come up short with material like that. About 2 inches. I made our 16 foot wide a few inches narrower and ended up trimming a wee bit off the final sheet across.

General note. When coming up short like that on a wider building the difference can be more substantial. It is not a good idea to add a strip that is only a few inches wide under the exterior wall. If the wall sits on a narrow strip there is very little tying the wall bottom plate to the floor structure. It can seem wasteful, but in a situation like that it is better to waste some sub floor and have the sheets at the exterior edge at least 2 feet wide. When nailed to the rim and other joists it ties the floor diaphram together much more strongly. That may mean having the two outside wall panels at something between 2 and 4 feet wide. Or it may mean running a a6 inch or wider strip down the middle. Sometimes it takes some real forethought.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 00:10 - Edited by: chainsrgone

Quoting: MtnDon
Sometimes it takes some real forethought.

You can say that again. Things just can't be simple, can they? I'll probably just drop by Home Depot tomorrow and actually measure some and see for sure. I've been meaning to but every time we go in it slips my mind. Thanks for the info.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 00:53

Please post what you find. It would be informative.

larry
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 07:48

made my cabin 12x32 and sheeted the floor with 3/4" t&g and had no problem with coverage.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 10:18 - Edited by: MtnDon

Not saying there is no such thing as T&G that actually covers 48"... just to point out all may not be as you think...

It's hard to find it in actual print in anyone's spec's but here's one I know of, from the folks who bring you Advantec... probably the best OSB due to its amazing ability to withstand repeated wetting.

Read the first line under General Information

The real annoying thing is that you never find that info in places like spec lists for materials at Lowes, HD and so on. Most mfg'ers don't admit to it either. But then is a 1x6 really 1x6, let alone a 1x6 T&G board?

chainsrgone
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 13:30

The real annoying thing is that you never find that info in places like spec lists for materials at Lowes, HD and so on. Most mfg'ers don't admit to it either. But then is a 1x6 really 1x6, let alone a 1x6 T&G board?

AMEN. That gets so annoying. Then you have to actually go down there with a freakin' tape measure like I'm doing this afternoon just to make absolutely positively sure.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 13:31

Please post what you find. It would be informative.

No problem.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 13:36

...and keep in mind those darn tongue and grooves never seem to go together completely tight.

chainsrgone
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 15:01

I'm TOTALLY surprised ;)

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 15:44 - Edited by: MtnDon

In floor sheathing panels the T&G joint is machined so the panel edges do NOT get butt tight by design. The end of the panels can be properly gapped with a 10D nail (approx 1/8"). Not gapping can lead to issues with edges becoming raised if/when the panels expand.

Good Info Link on OSB from Weyerhaeuser

FYI, building that are greater than 80 feet in width or length with T&G panel sub floors require additional expansion joints of 3/4" every 80 feet.

Info on Plywood from CanPly

They also have an illustration of their joint profile for gapping.
self gapping OSB T&G panel joints
self gapping OSB T&G panel joints

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 15:50

Quoting: trollbridge
.and keep in mind those darn tongue and grooves never seem to go together completely tight.

Mine did, but my builder buddy brings this huge sledge hammer. We glued and nailed it all down, no squeaks. Mine was a true 4X8 3/4" plywood.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 17:10 - Edited by: soundandfurycabin

Around here, regular T&G plywood is manufactured by offsetting the plys as they are laid up, so the finished face is true 4x8. Apparently the Advantec and similar "high performance" sheathing has the T&G machined in after, so the face is a bit less than 4'.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.