Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin loft enlargement
Dwight
# Posted: 30 Oct 2011 16:15

First let me outline the present Loft dimensions. In a 20X30 cabin one end has a loft Approximately 15 feet X 20.
The roof is exactly 8ft giving us 7.5 ft of head room at the center peak and is angled down to the floor on each side. It is a tight dark space.

I am considering raising the roof over this loft on each side but keeping the main ridge joist as is while beefing it up a bit.

Perhaps someone would find this project interesting to noodle around with. More details and drawings can be forthcoming.
Dwight/Minnesota project

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2011 22:14 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Dwight, add large window dormers on each side. Give you lots more head room and can leave the roof alone except where the dormers are.

If you have rafter style roof, cut roof sheating down the side fo existing rafters, remove entire section of rafters from ridge. Build a stud wall over the floor above the downstairs wall to carry the load, then build up to your height with a header over windows, install new rafters at the different angle. Make it as wide as you like. Do it on both sides too. Or build a barn style roof, that will give you the extra headroom, but he dormers will be good for the extra light and nice to have more windows.
Dormers
Dormers

Montanan
# Posted: 31 Oct 2011 13:11

I was going to make the same suggestion- dormers are the way to go! We have a 22x26' cabin with a 3/4 loft (L shaped) and a 12/12 pitch roof so we have good head room. But if we want to expand to make a "real" bedroom up there, we'll add a dormer like the one toyota posted. Good luck!

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 Oct 2011 14:24

Yep, me too. I agree that adding the dormer(2) is the easiest way to create more room and add more light. We have just one dormer in our loft and it is wonderful. Doing it at the time we built was very easy. We have a french door in the dormer that will have a small balcony off it- we are doing this for fire safety reasons (an escape) though our son thinks this will be his new tree stand!. The view is awesome from up there too. Good luck!

Dwight
# Posted: 1 Nov 2011 20:00

Thanks for the confirmation!
The interesting part of this project will be re-using the 6 inch pine log joists.
The angle at the ridge will need to be re-cut and I am thinking of cutting/jacking the existing roof up recutting the ridge angle and where my concerns rest is in the strength of the single 2x8 ridge.
A friend suggested laminating in a strip of flashing material to help.
With that approch I've considered having 2x8's planed on a shooter board to plane the "right" angle on to two 2x8 so the ends of the 6 inch rafters do not need to be re-cut.
This concept may or may not be clearly explained and understood.
It may be difficult to describe such an opperation with out pictures
but perhaps you can envision my approch to this project.

Last but not least the cabin is about 5 miles from any road and lake access means crossing 2 lakes separated by a 3/4 mile portage. Supplies come in during winter over the ice. Power is supplied by generators and most power tools are battery powered.

Any additional replies are welcome.
Dwight

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.