Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood Stove chimney/flasing attachment for roof.
fthurber
# Posted: 31 Oct 2011 21:59

I am working on a 10x12 cabin and was thinking of a tiny wood stove. What can I use for the chimney / flashing thingy for the roof? I have seen these one-piece jobs but don't know who makes them...

I don't want it to melt my shingles....

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Oct 2011 22:47

Do you have any chimney parts yet? what size does your stove use?

One of the best deals around for insulated chimney is the Selkirk brand 6 inch stainless steel chimney. If the roof pitch is 6/12 or less Lowes sells a kit that includes the roof flashing, chimney cap, flat ceiling support and all weatherproofing parts. Great deal. I have used one on our cabin and our gazebo.

johng
# Posted: 31 Oct 2011 22:54

I too have the Sellkirk kit but mine is through the wall. I had Lowes special order a few trim pieces to go through my soffit.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Nov 2011 00:27

You want to use the proper support box at the ceiling and all double wall insulated stuff from there up with a spark arrestor. It needs to be either 10 feet away from the roof at the top of the pipe or 2 feet higher than the highest point on the roof (code). Roof flashing will vary, you need to know your pitch. Do you get heavy snow? Look for sno jacks or wedges. I have 2 large supports from the top of the pipe to the roof. Keep sliding snow from shearing it off. Sno jack slices the snow before the chimney and helps to support the base also.

fthurber
# Posted: 1 Nov 2011 20:20

My father-in-law has a tiny caboose stove and a little pipe. I have not decided if I will use it; the chimney seems like a lot of work

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 18:18

I just paid a local guy to install my chimney, but it was pricey at $1900!

dfosson
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 19:28

Was that for parts and labor or just labor?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 22:23

That was parts and labor. It was 2 guys, they spend about 4 hours. They put of a special support they custom build which was real nice and HD to keep the snow from shearing off the pipe as it slid down. Included the special high dollar insulated pipe etc. It was everything from the stove outlet up. It was a virgin install. So they cut etc.

fthurber
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 22:38

I will check out Slkirk. I cannot do Lowes

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 00:36

That's funny.

larryh
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 11:48

A proper chimney flue is a must with any solid fuel stove or a high heat output oil stove. Propane can use the cheaper two piece aluminum furnace flues. No insulated chimney is going to be cheap. And getting it put up right is not a cinch either. If you don't think your prone to using the stove much then you might be better off skipping it. Now and then in the off season I see a wood stove chimney at an auction and normally they sell for a fraction of the price new. Also ebay sometime has a set of pipes and roof connectors at a reasonable price, but shipping would be expensive.

Don't skimp on safety for sure.

Larry

fpw
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 19:00

I just put a chimney on the stump ranch (www.peelinglogs.blogspot.com). I used a duravent kit.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316635_200316635

You need chimney pipe along with the kit. Cost me around $400.

dfosson
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 19:05

I used SuperVent double wall stainless from Menards. It's actually made in Canada and is rated at 2100 degrees. The most I paid for a 36" section was $65. My kitchen wood stove needed a 6" pipe so that's what I went with. I purchased the wall spool, cleanout T, brackets, and the roof kit. I used Through the Roof clear sealant around the seams on the roof. Very pleased, did it myself and for under $500.
kitchen chimney
kitchen chimney
My cook stove
My cook stove

brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 23:58

looks great nice job -- feeding my wood burner and enjoying the warmth and freedom is my favorite part of the whole cabin experience

davestreck
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 17:37

Quoting: dfosson
My kitchen wood stove needed a 6" pipe so that's what I went with.

Thats a sweet looking cookstove! Any info on make/model/year? I'm looking for one just like that for my cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.