Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Question for you cabin builders (sealer after winter?)
old buddy
# Posted: 5 Nov 2011 20:23

I'm close to being finished on the construction of my cabin. Should I wait until next spring to try to seal up all the wooden gaps with latex sealer instead of this winter? l'm afraid that if I do it now and the wood continues to shrink, a lot of my work will need redone next year. Please tell me what you think.

neb
# Posted: 5 Nov 2011 22:23

I would wait unless you think the weather could get inside the cabin some how. Not sure if gaps are bog enough for mice to get in also. You may want to consided those things.

Martian
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 06:38

Check the temp range for the latex sealer you are going to use. It may be too cold, but I don't know where your cabin is. If the wood has been kiln dried, it probably won't shrink more than the latex can stretch if the temp is good to go.

Tom

TomChum
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 12:57 - Edited by: TomChum

Hey OB,

My cabin is about 14 months old. Gaps opened a bit during (the first) spring, of course. Then surprisingly they opened a noticeably more at the end of summer (~13 mos). I think you should plan and expect to do two rounds. It won't take long though, remember it truly is a "small cabin".

I did not use any kiln-dried lumber, a little different than your build..... And I bet I have a LOT more gaps than you ;-)

I would seal up the gaps to keep either water & critters, (& cold?) out, and then plan to go at it again next year. Seal it down low in the bigger grooves so if it opens up you can add more and still look good. Use a very pliable (very stretchy!) sealer, such as 'Sidewinder' ( http://www.dap.com/ ). Sidewinder is very soft, it's good stuff and stretches a LOT.

Also, in the "cabin construction" forum, a title that represents the subject of the question ( for example: "Caulking Question") would get more responses. A title so general as "Question for you cabin builders" tend to get 'lost' ----- people don't click on them after just a few days. Basically you only get the pond scum (guys like me who read everything ;-)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.