Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Foam insulation Or fiberglass
easyshack
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 10:33

Fiberglass is cheap, but should be outlawed. The R factor is a lie. the only way the R factor is true is if you put the fiberglass insulation in a jar with a lid on it. ( Remember figures do not lie, But liers figure!!)When building a house, i was going to go firberglass,Why? is was cheap. After much research i tried the foam, glad i did, now i have done 4 houses already. It not only makes things air tight, It stoped the house from creaking in high winds, and added strenght to it. We have one cabin at 7000 ft, it got down to 38 below zero last winter. Only used 1 1/2 cords of wood, and not oak, low BTU pine. Even at 0 degrees right now, we only start wood stove fire in morning, and may or maynot light it in evening, depend on how much we open doors. even with no heat if we leave for a 4 or 5 days, the inside of house never gets below 50 degrees. I was sold on the foam once i lived in house. Foam is the real R factor.
If you build the house of your dream, please dont get chintzy on insulation. Why save a few bucks on insulation, but then pay 500 per month on heating bills forever.

steveqvs
# Posted: 14 Nov 2011 13:50

Interesting. Are you talking like 4 inches thick or sip panels style etc?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.