Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Barn type roof w/ porch
Bevis
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 11:06

tossing around the idea for my hunting cabin. Thinking along the lines of a barn roof with a big porch on the side

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 11:08

Hmmm...what happened. Thinking more headroom for the loft. and having the entrance on the end, then have a L shaped porch. Been looking for a pic, to see what it would look like.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 11:14

What kind of roof over the porch? a shed roof added on to the side with the gambrel roof extended over the porch on the end? How much snow load would there be; sometimes that can be an issue with a shed roof coming off the side of a gambrel or gable roof. The snow slides off the gambrel very nicely and ends up being a load on the lower pitch shed roof.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 11:48

yea Bevis!!! Go for it!

I am curious what your little mishap was before but I am super excited for you!

Take a ton of time and really think hard about what you want-what look you like and what type of floor plan and size you desire and I mean like hours should go into this process! Then you won't have regrets :)

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 23:24

MtnDon...the only snow here in sw fla would be the type some powder their noses with...LOL
We have lots of melted snow (aka rain) here though...

Trollbridge...I posted in the breakend thread, that my cabin in central Tn was broken into, used to cook meth and then burned to the ground. I had several game cameras set out, that captured everything...faces, vehicle tags, and the torching of my cabin. one was the son of a sheriff, and anothrs dad is the local mayor. they are going away for a long time. I have since sold the property to one of the ol' timers who leased part of it for hay.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 09:35

Oh yeah, I remember that now...I forgot that was you. You should have more security on the club land I would think don't you?

That was an amazing story and such a shame. I am going to have to go back and read it again. You were so fortunate to have the cameras in place. Do you have any photos of your cabin, did you build it? How long had you owned it? Man, I would be so devastated. I'm glad you are moving on with thoughts to rebuild.

Nice that the farmer bought the land from you.

What an embarrassment to the sheriff and the mayor-I am glad it did not turn into a big ol cover-up but that would be a little difficult with pictures!

Bevis
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 12:55

thanks trollbridge...it still hurts. Yes there is more security on the club land.
I'll look and see if I can find some pic of the old cabin. I built it 8 years ago. I laid out everything at home, built the walls, and made all my cuts along with labeling them and then trailered it all up there to build in 2 weeks. My Dad came up for the first week or so, my wife came up to help finish it off.
The Farmers wife keeps me updated with what is going on. They are some great people too.
I will not end up building until about Jul - Aug of next year. but I will begin the process early and build everything at home and trailer parts out there for assembly. Still getting ideas from here too.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 20:53

We built our outhouse that way-kinda nice to do cause it goes so much faster when it is all put together.

I am glad you are going to rebuild and I hope that you really enjoy the process. Being proactive can really help that healing process. It is amazing the utter disregard some kids have for others property or belongings. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about how you must have felt when you received the phone call that your cabin was on fire. That is like the ultimate destruction. Hope they sit in jail for many years and think about how their actions affected you and your wife!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 18:31

Bevis,
I'm in the tricities. I was wondering where your cabin was before the druggies found it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.