Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Gravel base for foundation
Swamphunter
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 06:51

Since my cabin's footprint is 20x24, I am planning on using a gravel base for a foundation and setting the structure on skids. I figure that by removing the sod and going down a few inches without disturbing the compacted earth below, I can put 8-12" of compacting stone down, tamp it and build off of that. Is that adequate?

Swamphunter
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 06:54

Oops.. forgot to mention that thre would be driveway fabric layed down between the earth and the gravel....

Rob_O
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 10:13

Maybe, depends on the local conditions.

My boss has a rental house that was built in the 'teens with no more foundation than a pile of rock on the bare dirt... for 70 years it was fine, then they built the lake. Now *every* house in that neighborhood is "settling" but the USGS claims the lake is not the problem... whatever!

As a general rule, the more work you put into the foundation now the less work you will have to do later to keep the place level. At a minimum I'd recommend you dig your pits at least as deep as the local frost line

Swamphunter
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 10:21

I dont want a permanent foundation, and our frost line is 4 feet deep. I dont mind some readjustment every couple of years, just want it sturdy overall...

customrunner
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 17:03

Swamphunter, I am building my cabin on skids its a 16"x20" and its only on packed gravel as well I have it packed so well that I couldnt even pound a steck in the groung so I have no worries of it sinking and if it for some reason it did I have built it so I can esaly relevel.

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 18:29

No concerns about uplift in high winds??

Swamphunter
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 10:22

Quoting: MtnDon
No concerns about uplift in high winds??

No, not at all... I live in a low wind area, and the cabin in well protected with the forested timber around. Many buildings in my area are not held down at all... skids are common for outbuildings

AYP1909
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 15:44

A few years ago I volunteered on a USFS Passport in Time project in the Colville National Forest in Washington. There was a 90 year old homestead log cabin that needed to have the lowest course of logs replaced. We used house jacks at various locations to raise the remainder of the cabin about 1 inch. We removed the rotted logs and replaced them with freshly cut and peeled logs and then lowered the cabin back onto the gravel foundation. This free-draining material had served its purpose this long and we saw no need to fix something that was not broken.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.