Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood plank flooring
Swamphunter
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 10:23

So for those of you that have done wood plank flooring overtop of PT plywood, do you have any pictures of the results and what steps did you take to prepare? Do you have any problems and how have they held up with temp and humidity change?

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 11:53

what kind of wood planked floor? Are you talking a prefinished wood floor with T&G or just like pine planks? A laminate wood floor? Also, where are you located?

Montanan
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 12:33

We did pine planks over plywood. Here is the link to our project thread, with photos.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_1184_2.html

We just let the planks sit in the cabin for a couple of weeks before we nailed them down. Otherwise, we didn't do any preparation. We just put down a foam underlay for moisture protection and for cushioning/noise and then put the boards down. We still need to sand and poly most of it, but the couple areas we have done look really nice. We have only had the floor done for a couple of months sop we don't yet know how they will hold up. But so far, we haven't had any problems.

Hope that helps.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 01:24

I am thinking of using Ash that grows naturally on our acreage in northern NY. Worst case scenario I would go with pine flooring.. really like the plank flooring look though.

fthurber
# Posted: 23 Dec 2011 22:17

Quoting: Swamphunter
I am thinking of using Ash that grows naturally on our acreage in northern NY. Worst case scenario I would go with pine flooring.. really like the plank flooring look though.

Ash would be awesome. You could have your local sawmill cut it up for you; see if you can get them to give you consistent thickness on the planks; it will make the sanding sooo much easier.

I suspect you want to use screws and plugs on ash. A friend did this with rock maple and has an awesome floor.

Just
# Posted: 23 Dec 2011 23:04

ash floor, screws and pegs, dark stain and poly
ash
ash

fthurber
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 09:28 - Edited by: fthurber

Quoting: Just
ash

Wow. That is a beautiful look for a cabin. And durable too.

When my friend did his maple floor and my father-in-law did a southern pine floor they had to use various artifices involving levers and such to force the wood together but if the boards come back straight from the sawmill I would think that this would not be too much work with ash.

Just
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 11:20

The wood will not come back strait from the saw mill . It must be dryed for a year then plained then straitend in a table saw .that is why I only used 4 ft. boards .dry hard wood 12 in wide will not bend ! beleve me i tryed !

Martian
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 11:37

Just is right. When you get wood from the mill, after you dry it, then you have to mill it. I start with cutting off the dried ends and get it to rough length, then cut a straight edge on one side with a circular saw, clean off the sawmarks on the joiner, then cut to width on the table saw. After that it's run thru the planer, both sides, then grooves get cut in the bottom to reduce cupping. There's a reason why wood flooring is expensive; it takes a lot of time.

Trying to bend a wide board straight is definitely a waste of time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.