Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Board and Batten to stain or not to stain?
Swamphunter
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 16:02

So, those of you that have done board and batten siding, can you show pics of your stained vs not stained exteriors? I would really appreciate it. I've snooped around in the photos section, but would like to see more and hear whats on the exterior

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 17:20

When you refer to not stained, does that mean no top coat of any kind? No oil finish, no clear coat, no nothing? Personally I don't like the way the wood weathers. As for stains, the ones that fall into the solid category are my preference. That's only because they last longer and protect wood longer.

Martian
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 17:26

What kind of wood are we talking here?

Tom

Swamphunter
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 18:43

Pine

Just
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 19:13

I'm with Don solid stain has worked best for me . Tryed transparent stain and paint , I think the stain did the best job ..that being said I live in a western red ceder home . that has been clear coated often since we built it. high mantainens, but looks great..

Martian
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 21:45

I think today's pine requires quite a bit of protection, but there are a lot of old cabins and barns, without any treatment whatsoever, that have held up quite well for many years. How long your wood will last without any seal depends a lot on how much humidity, sun/shade, etc you have. I painted my pine B&B walls.

Tom

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 08:59

I used a semi-transparent stain...still wanted to see the texture of the barnboard pine siding. Weathered grey can look good, but often it takes a long time to get an even color on the whole cabin. Areas that are protected by overhangs, etc. are slower to change to grey. All personal taste.

fpw
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 10:35

Here are some photos of unfinished board and batten. The outhouse at the Stump Ranch has no finish or stain, this is the second winter. Temporary structure so I probably won't ever put on any finish.

The Timber framed shed is board and batten, currently unfinished, only because it got cold and snowed before I managed to complete the building. In the spring, I will add colored stain so that this matches my house.

In both cases the siding is 3/4" (True 3/4 cut on mill). Boards are 6" wide and the battens are 3" wide.
Stump Ranch Outhouse
Stump Ranch Outhouse
Timber Framed Shed
Timber Framed Shed
Board & Batten
Board & Batten
Board and Batten
Board and Batten

cman47c
# Posted: 12 Dec 2011 09:01

This is my cabin before and after staining.
alaska_001.jpg
alaska_001.jpg
alaska_008.jpg
alaska_008.jpg

Swamphunter
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 06:43

Thank you guys.. definitely going to stain...

jrbarnard
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 06:50

May I ask why you would use board and batten vs hardi plank? Just curious. I do not like the look of hardi plank, but keep thinking it is much more durable and will last longer.

Curious on your thoughts when looking at siding.

Russ

Martian
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 09:04

Russ, my original plan was to use Hardi board siding and apply strips for the B&B look, but decided to use Hardi plank lap siding instead; its a lot easier/lighter for one guy to hang.

Tom

jrbarnard
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 09:10

Martin,

I was thinking of the lap board as well, simply because it looks nicer, I am told. I will have at least 8 of us out there, if not 10, so we should be able to handle either, but I sure would like something more aesthetically pleasing than a simple 4x8 sheet of hardi.. heh.

I'll look at the lap board. I think the cabin dimensions are going to be either 20x28 or 24x28, depending on the costs.

Right now, my only real concern is keeping the costs below 7k. We will have it all one large room. I decided that doing the rafters myself, vs pre-fab, would be less money and just as "easy" once we get the first one right. I want to make it tall enough to add a loft at one end as well as there will be a 15' covered porch extending the entire 28 ft of the front of the cabin.

We are 3 months away from starting it, so still drawing and re-drawing and running the numbers every way from Sunday ;)

Russ

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 10:08

I used Hardi Plank on our cabin because I wanted the fire resistance. I used 12" wide and installed it all myself. There's a handy tool called SoloSider available from amazon. It allowed me to handle and install every piece alone. There are other brands of tools to assist with the hanging of the hardi and other types. I was very happy with the SoloSider.

Hardi also takes paint very well. I don't expect to have to repaint for many years; low maintenance products mean more time for other things.

Martian
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 10:41

Russ, not to hijack the thread, but it is going to be hard to meet both your size and cost parameters unless you are talking about just the shell. My cabin started out 20X24, then I added a 7X8 utility room and 7X8 back porch.

Tom

jrbarnard
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 10:45

I am just talking drying it in. I already have the numbers to be able to do it with Hardi, was just curious as to the OP's choice of exterior.

R

exsailor
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 12:27 - Edited by: exsailor

Swamphunter,
My friends in West Virginia wait until the green wood srinks, then they nail on the battens and coat the whole thing with a mixture of old motor oil and use gas to cut it. Surprisingly enough it comes out to a light brown finish. I don't have a pic to post of it right now. I don't think the fire hazzard is is big as it sounds. It is mostly used on out buildings and shed.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 12:42

Thanks exsailor, I've heard of that around these parts also... had forgot that option... would like to see a pic though if you ever get the chance... thanks

tusk
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 18:12

I new a guy that sprayed his rough sewn pine cabin with diesel fuel... It was inexpensive, deters insects, protects against the elements and the red dye in off-road diesel made it look cool.... the diesel smell goes away pretty quickly... tusk

HillbillyWv
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 18:52

cman47c

HillbillyWv
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 18:53

What type of stain did you use while color

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.