Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / building a wood shed!?
busybeaverbusy
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 08:56

So my question is what does everyone think of the idea of building a little wood shed connected directly to the back of the cabin?? good idea? bad idea?

PA_Bound
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 09:21

Typically that is frowned upon- primarily because it brings all the bugs, rodents and snakes that often inhabit a wood pile a little too close to home.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 09:48

Quoting: PA_Bound
Typically that is frowned upon- primarily because it brings all the bugs, rodents and snakes that often inhabit a wood pile a little too close to home.

but make sure it's close to your camp..because hauling wood is kinda like work:-)

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 10:00

Would the risks be the same if you kept the wood two to three feet off the ground and kept just a few nights worth of wood in it at a time? I was thinking of going this route to keep space freed up in our small cabin and keep the trips to the main wood pile to a minimum.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 10:00

... not to mention how nicely piles of wood, in a shed or not, burn. No sense putting a pile of "fire starter" beside the cabin. After seeing how wood piles take off when a forest fire meets them, our firewood storage is kept 50 feet away. We do have a 4' x 2' x 2' on the porch for "immediate use",

PA_Bound
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 10:53

Personally speaking,... during the winter time... I do keep a small supply (a day or two) of fire wood on the porch- with the following rules:

1. Only in the wintertime! Bugs (ants, in particular) are usually dormant and snakes are hibernating so the risk of cross-infestation of the cabin by them is low. If I leave the cabin for more than a day or two, I remmove any remaining pile back off the porch. And all bets are off when the weather warms up and things start to move around!

2. Completely consume the pile before adding more! Mice are the biggest problem with a wood pile in the wintertime. It doesn't take long for them to move in (as quick as overnight, in some cases). Consuming the pile completely, forcing any that move in to quickly move out, may help prevent them from getting too comfortable around the cabin.

My $.02

busybeaverbusy
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 12:38

these are all interesting points and i thank you all for your input, I am now leaning towards putting the shed away from the cabin, it was just easier this way because 1 wall is essentially allready done.
i.e ( The cabin) haha!! although I live in Northwestern Ontario, and the only snakes we have here are called gardner snakes and they are not poisonous nor do they get over 2 feet long so no biggie, just the typical ants and maybee the odd rodent

TomChum
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 20:38

Quoting: busybeaverbusy
maybe the odd rodent

tell us how is a rodent odd to a beaver? ;-))

busybeaverbusy
# Posted: 17 Dec 2011 06:26

I only like my own kind.beavers that is...no smaller rodents allowed!!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.