Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Supporting a loft; using split logs?
fthurber
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 21:33 - Edited by: fthurber

My roof is almost done so we are turning our attention to the loft next.

The skeleton of my cabin is 10 x 12, but it rises 10 feet so I can put in a loft. I want to run 10 foot rafter/joists (at about 7 feet high) to support the loft. I was thinking of asking my sawmill to cut some smallish logs lengthwise and leave it round on the outside so I will have beams with half-moon cross-sections. Then use them for the rafters with the round side down. What do you think? Seems like it would be tricky to get a consistent thickness....

Just
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 23:29

you do not need them consistent as long as the weakest one is strong enough . i used to hunt from a log cabin made with hand huen rafters round on the bottom

45north
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 03:59

I used 7 inch rough sawn 2 sided logs for my whole cabin including rafters for the second floor and the loft floor. More strength than is nessesary but I like them. Here are some pics of my loft.
IMGP1136.JPG
IMGP1136.JPG

45north
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 04:05

here are some more pics of my loft logs
IMGP1135.JPG
IMGP1135.JPG
IMGP1171.JPG
IMGP1171.JPG

fpw
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 12:08

Split logs work fine. They don't need to be consistent. Just level up the logs on the flat side and and account for the distance with the post. I generally cut the mortise for the post at a set distance (say 6 or 8 inches) from the flat side, that way all the posts can be the same size.
DSC01425.jpg
DSC01425.jpg
DSC01432.jpg
DSC01432.jpg
DSC01466.jpg
DSC01466.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.