Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Water Level - Neat Technique
cabinbasics
# Posted: 9 Mar 2009 21:37

Been wondering how I would level out the piers this summer - string levels, etc. Ground is very uneven and sloped. Watched a DIY show tonight and they demonstrated a water level - clear 1/2 tube put water in it. Put one end at the point you want the others to level up to. Get the water up to the level you want. Then take the other end of the tube and walk it over to the other point. Where the water levels out is exactly the same level as the original point. Seems easy and pretty exact! Has anybody used this?

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 10 Mar 2009 01:03

I haven't yet but I will be using something similar called a bucket level...

http://www.diyinfo.org/wiki/How_To_Build_A_Simple_But_Effective_Water_Level

It's a bit easier to use than a standard water level because you can move the free end around without worrying about having water spill out the reference end. Because of that, one person can use it without a helper.

The instructions above don't mention it but adding a bit of dish soap will reduce the surface tension of the water, giving a more accurate level, and adding a few drops of food coloring will make it easier to see the water level.

cabinbasics
# Posted: 10 Mar 2009 08:44

That's perfect - thanks for that link Sound!

maxgyver
# Posted: 8 Jun 2009 12:24

I have used a water level a few times...its great because you can go around corners...no laser can do that yet...a drop or two of red food color mixed in will allow you to read it better.

Kevin

Walnut
# Posted: 9 Aug 2009 21:43

I used a bucket level to level the post tops of our cabin foundation and found it worked extremely well - much easier and more accurate than any other method I've used.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.