Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Hello Everyone!
MJW
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 16:21

I have been a lurker for several weeks and have learned so much. Thanks to everyone here who is so generous with their contributions. This is an incredible website.

My wife and I have been wanting to do something off the grid for a few years now. Now, with both of us self employed in businesses that let us work from anywhere with a wifi connection, we are traveling the country in our 5th wheel with our 4 year old. In the spring of next year, we want to start our off the grid cabin.

I have used software to lay out a 20 x 32 with loft that I want to build. This will give us just a bit shy of 800 sq feet which is fine for us as a full time residence with some travel from time to time in our camper.

We have narrowed down our land choices to a couple of parcels in Missouri that range from 6 to 11 acres and will be deciding on and closing on it in the next couple of months.

The well and septic costs have been confirmed as well as the start up costs for our initial solar set up which will give us 3000 watt hours a day. We will build on that (adding batteries and panels) as we see how it meets our needs but initial calculations indicate it will cover what we have to have right away.

We will be able to pay for the well, septic, solar and construction materials as we go and are financing the land as the owner offers financing.

Neither of us have any real construction experience and apart from an "all in one" tool kit bought at WalMart, we do not own any tools.

Yes, we are VERY inexperienced. :-)

I am convinced, however, that we can do this and do 90% of it ourselves including the building and solar installation.

Simply from lurking here I have learned enough to give me immense confidence that we can do this.

My question to all of you that have gone before us is:

If you were jut starting out yourself again (knowing what you know now) and were in our position, what materials would you name as "must haves" to gain the knowledge needed to be able to do this?

Any tips you can share with us would be appreciated tremendously.

Thanks again for all that has already been shared!

Michael

VTweekender
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 16:55 - Edited by: VTweekender

I would advise that you do ALL your homework checking with the town/county where the property is located. If you declare a "dwelling" is being built you won't be able to do half the things your are suggesting..they will enforce code. Doing things in steps over time like installing septic, type of foundation etc..etc..will get ruled out, those things would have to be in place before a dwelling certificate issued to live there, lots of things to think about once you declare it a dwelling, much more money involved as well.. If they allow "recreational" cabins there, then you will be able to do what your suggesting if you apply for a recreational cabin permit...then if you make it your permanent residence you must hope they/or unfriendly neighbors aren't watching to close.

Do your homework first always...

All the best on your project to you and your family

Kevin

MJW
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 17:16

Thanks, Kevin.

No problems with code or regulations here. In fact, even if there were, I don't think they would know about this unless I told them. It is pretty isolated.

Anonymous
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 23:04

The only problem I can think of is make sure you can get WiFi for your work on the property you are buying. We live in MO and can't get Wifi, barely get a cell signal.We can drive 2 miles down the nearest highway and get WIFI but not at home. just something for you to check into.

MJW
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 23:27

Absolutely! That is a must have as we both work from home.

We actually looked at a cabin we really wanted to buy in the Lake of the Ozarks area with an awesome view but you couldn't even get a signal there with an air card.

The land we buy will have to be able to pick up a signal with an air card as we want to stay 100% off grid.

What part of MO are you in? We are looking in the Mountain Grove area right now.

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 10:33

We are about 35 miles north of Mountain Grove.
As far as building, READ AND RESEARCH! You can do it. We did.
Definitely read the Humanure handbook. It's available online free.
We catch rainwater, have a sawdust toilet and greywater system.
We are building our second house here on our property.
The first one we have been living in for 5 years and its still standing :)
We will use it as storage/ studio, when the new one is done.

Mountain Grove has a great tool rental place on 60. They rent any thing you would need for building. Look for tools at yardsales, auctions,Craigslist. etc.
Good Luck. It is fun and exhausting.

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 11:10 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Anonymous
It is fun and exhausting.

I'll second that!!

Reading up before hand on construction and knowing what is necessary for any possible permits makes it a lot less stressful!

Don't assume everything has to be bought brand new-there are tons of great deals on used materials and tools-it just takes a bit of watching out for them.

Remember to stay flexible...make changes when needed and don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Step back and take a break when needed. If there is something you need help or advice on ask here 'cause somebody has the answer!

This next piece of advice is very important..........take tons of pictures-your going to want them and don't forget to share them with us!

Also remember, not everything needs to be figured out before you start. You will learn a ton along the way and after being around your cabin after a while you will notice what is the "most convenient" spot for whatever or what is the "most common path" taken...don't fight the flow of things.

Take the time to make your place uniquely yours

and most of all, enjoy yourselves!

Good luck :-)

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 11:15

Oh and one last thing :-)

Have the right tool for the job...in the long run it is sooo much easier!

That's all!

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 17:29

Actually...one more:

never stand on the very top of a ladder with a corded tool between your legs! Trust me on that one...it will save you a lot of pain...

That's all~promise :-)

MJW
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 17:48

Sound advice...all of it, Trollbridge.

So far I believe we have planned it out well. Having the well and septic done first thing and having our camper to stay in will take alot of the pressure off of us.

We can both run our businesses with about 4 hours a day of work and some of that can be done at night so that is almost a perfect scenario.

Figuring on breaking ground sometime by mid April. That will give us a good 6 months before the weather turns cooler.

I will take lots of photos to share and don't worry. You will see I am not afraid to ask questions. I know there is lots I don't know.

Thanks again for the help.

MJW
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 17:51

Anonymous, looks like we may be neighbors!

My wife, son and I have traveled alot and the Missouri area is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

Thanks for the tips!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 19:14

find a friend / relative who KNOWS construction or hire someone----by the hour or day---to help you get it framed up ASAP===their knowledge will be better than any online course or book you will ever buy.You are not building a shed BUT a 20 x 32 aka -- a small house--totally different. TRUST me on this one....

ErinsMom
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 19:45

MJW,
I have yet to start my build, but I'm very excited FOR YOU. This is an amazing site and the people who have built their cabins are a great source of info as you go. God's speed.

MJW
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:52

Thanks, turkeyhunter. Will do.

I agree, ErinsMom. This is an awesome place. Thanks for your support and well wishes.

When are you planning to get started on your place?

fpw
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 11:04

There are quite a few classes on different types of constrution, many of these are geared toward the novice. I've found that a week spent in a hands on class is worth the investment down the road.

COTTONPICKER
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 09:41

MJW, I admire your enthusiasim!

However, your total lack of experience worries me.

Do you have an experienced friend who can give you vital advice as to what tools & materials to buy & perhaps be present at the build site from time to time to point you in the right direction?

Not trying to discourage you but just give you another train of thought.

Good luck,

Cotton Picker

MJW
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 21:41

@ fpw, I agree and I have considered doing a little volunteering for Habitat to pick up a few pointers.

Thanks, Cottonpicker, my lack of experience worries me, too, at times. That is why I am hanging out at places like this trying to learn all I can. If, by the time we get started, I don't feel I can do this safely, I will most likely have to hire someone to assist but I hope that isn't the case.

I still have over a year to learn as much as I can so I am confident I can put the pieces together.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 21:50

Read, Read, Read, even the books at Home Depot... all knowledge is good.
And ask, ask ,ask; this is a great forum with a lot of knowledge on board here and we are happy to help.....

MJW
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 21:38

Thanks, Borrego. That is exactly what i have been doing. Information overload for sure.

I agree 100%. This is an awesome forum!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.