Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / cabin design for single mom and 11 year old son whom very much enjoy personal privacy
offgriddream
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 23:38

I am looking for any ideas on cabin designs that would end up being like two cabins connected via a central cooking/wood-stove room. I was thinking of building

offgriddream
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 23:46

haha well i forgot to finish the post. I got distracted making pasta for my son.... anyways my goal is to build them out of recycled material so it needs to be as simple as possible large windows for passive solar a decomposing toilet and outdoor inclosed shower/mud/washroom. My son well lets say he is very busy and very imaginative so it would have to be able to give room for rainy day adventures/craziness for him i.e. room to move, I am prepared to build his area bigger for him to have enough room to let out his energy on days he cannot go outside and explore/dig an underground tunnel (his goal for our off grid adventure). Sooo if you have any design ideas I would be very appreciative...

Peace love and rock and roll

Nic

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 00:49

A dogtrot design might work for you and your son. They are fairly straightforward to build. The center area of a dogtrot is usually left open on both sides but could be enclosed with sliding patio doors. Are you going to use the wood stove just for cooking or for heating too?

http://www.studioatkinson.com/1-latimer-1.htm
http://www.studioatkinson.com/1-zachary-1.htm

offgriddream
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 16:27

thank you so very much i have never heard of this design and it seems perfect. yes the wood stove will be for heat as well i hope it works with this design. today i discovered a home in town that was built based on this design and i was thrilled to be able to see it in action. i was wondering if it would be possible to make my sons side into an L shape for more room? i really like the center area being both an inclosed and open area as well it will do good in the summer time. thank you again. this takes a lot of stress off our move..

NIc

Martian
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 17:11

One thing to remember; the more you seperate the two spaces, the more you will have to duplicate the systems. For instance, how will you move heat from one to the other, or do you have two heat sources. Same with AC if you plan on having it.

Tom

ErinsMom
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 18:42

soundandfury,
I love the zachary design, esp. the outdoor fireplace.

offgriddream,
How old is your son? What part of the country do you live? Those things will definitely influence your design.

offgriddream
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 00:09

Tom, I was thinking about this as well. Would it work if the wood stove was in the central area and I put vents in both my sons space as well as mine?

ErinsMom, My son is 11 just starting to separate from me and is needing his space.

Also I am a very quiet person and like to have a space that is void of jumping running singing. lol the exact opposite of my son. I am looking at N.M for land right now. I need to be able to put like a sort of rim around the roof to catch rain and snow to travel down a pipe into an underground tank. I want to try passive solar and active solar

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 00:59

Using gutters to catch rainwater in a cistern is a common method of getting water in some places, going back into the early 1900's or sooner in the west. There are a number of ways to help filter the water, a catch leg before the cistern can detour much of the intitial leaves, dirt, bugs, bird stuff (yeah, they do that on your roof), etc before it gets to the cistern, then a filter in the line after the tank gets it fairly clean, but it would probably need to be treated for drinking.

Martian
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 07:31 - Edited by: Martian

Offgriddream, if I was building a structure, using recycled materials, to accomodate the two of you and designed to meet your privacy requirements, it would be long and fairly narrow with living quarters at each end. I would put the kitchen and bathroom closest to his room with the common area between the kitchen/bath and your space. I think you'll have more luck finding materials if you keep everything less than 10' in length. A transom window over his door would let heat into his space. Orient the structure to take advantage of the prevailing winds for cross ventilation. A 12-16' width and 30-40' length would be fairly easy to build. Anytime you intersect two roof lines, the amount of waste in framing, decking, and covering a roof goes up; not to mention it requires more work than a straight line roof.

If you use the same source for heating and cooking, the difficulty comes in trapping the heat in the Winter while still being able to exhaust it in the Summer. Cross ventilation will help; ie, opening windows on both sides in the cooking area, but its still going to get pretty warm. I would suggest a Summer cooking area seperate from the living spaces. This could be as simple as a screened deck on the North side of the house with a small hearth or even a barbeque cooker.

Tom

offgriddream
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 17:50

Well Tom I will thank you for giving me details like this and there I was thinking it would just be a simple thing to build. I do believe we will have to use some new material but wish for as little waste as possible. Would it be safe to put a small wood stove into my sons room? I was pondering that. I like the outdoor cooking idea I was even thinking of that myself. I was also thinking of building Parker a kind of play house maybe if the materials are enough, just a simple square structure. I sure have some more planning to do before building thank you a lot..

Nic

offgriddream
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 17:51

Well Tom I will thank you for giving me details like this and there I was thinking it would just be a simple thing to build. I do believe we will have to use some new material but wish for as little waste as possible. Would it be safe to put a small wood stove into my sons room? I was pondering that. I like the outdoor cooking idea I was even thinking of that myself. I was also thinking of building Parker a kind of play house maybe if the materials are enough, just a simple square structure. I sure have some more planning to do before building thank you a lot..

Nic

Martian
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 18:25

Is this something you plan to build yourselves? If so, consider doing a shed roof. The South face of the house would be the tall side. It makes collecting your water easier; only one eave to gutter, and its simple to frame.

Tom

Belle Lake
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 16:22

where can you get basic framing details for the above described design?

Martian
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 20:04

Quoting: Belle Lake
where can you get basic framing details for the above described design?

To whom was this directed?

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.