Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / pole construction
tcmatt
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 07:01

I decided to re-post this one under a different heading. I think the "pole barn" construction may have thrown some folks off...

I'm building a 12 x 16 cabin with a 12/12 roof & half loft using pole construction methods for the most part. (will be framing the walls in between the posts with 2x4 studs, etc.). The site is remote (on an island) and there is no water yet at my site. For a few reasons, I've decided to build it using pole construction methods and have two questions...

1. cookies/biscuits...A contractor friend said I could just put the posts on the cookies. A book I recently bought, "Practical Pole Building Construction" says to screw lag bolts part way thru the posts about 12" from the bottom and pour the concrete around that part of the post to form the cookie for lateral stability. The book deals with much larger buildings that what I'll be building. It would be much easier for me to just place the posts on the cookies than to mix and pour on site. Any thoughts?

2. size of posts...I was hoping to use 6, 4x6 posts. 1 at each corner and one midway at 8'. Will 4x6's be enough for a 12 x 16 or should I go with 6x6's?

the site is very sandy. It's basically a wooded dune, 600' from Lake Michigan.

this is my first post, so I'll try to post a link to the cabin layout.

http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/a5848455-aaa2-4a6c-811c-3ff2c89305b3

Also, how do you add a photo to a post?

thanks,
matt

fpw
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:47

I have a similar issue being remote. I recently decided to add a porch to the Stump Ranch. For porch footings I used a simliar technique. I cut 18" diameter sonotube into 6" sections. Then, I dug down a few inches and leveled out the tops of the sonotubes. The final step was filling the sono tubes with sack-crete and a little rebar. Pretty quick operation, I did the layout, setup, and pouring in day.

When I set the posts, I will use screw-jacks (photo attached) in the bottom. You drill a hole in the bottom of the post and install the screw. This will allow to me to account for any frost heave in the future.

Here is a link to Schroeder Log Home Supplies where you can get screw jacks (and other log home supplies)
http://www.loghelp.com/p-1831-screw-jacks.aspx

Or, if you can weld, just make them up with plate steel and all thread.

In my case, I will just put a couple cement screws into the jack to keep in place, the weight of the structure prevents movement. If you wanted to ,you could set the base of the jack right in the pad when you pouring, which would probably be a more solid installation, just make sure you are plumb.
Screw Jack
Screw Jack

fpw
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:50

PS...I would go with at least 6" x 6" posts.

Borrego
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 16:01

I'm building a pole cabin and being a General Contr. as well, I would recommend having the posts go into the ground instead of sitting on top of it. And why not go with actual poles instead of posts? 6-8" diameter would be fine.
And I found this book more helpful:
http://www.amazon.com/Cost-Pole-Building-Construction-How/dp/0882661701/ref=pd_sim_b_ 2

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 16:07 - Edited by: MtnDon

I agree with Borrego. One of the advantages of pole buildings is that with the poles set several feet in the ground the building is anchored and the wall structure stiffens the walls and ties everything together, Sitting on the ground the building has no uplift / tip resistance other than the weight of the structure materials and contents. That's not always enough when the wind blows 85-90+ MPH.

tcmatt
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 16:57

I should have been more clear. I was definitely going to bury the posts below frost line (3 feet in my area). My question was whether or not a cookie at the bottom of the hole was sufficient or if having the posts anchored into the concrete cookie was necessary given the size of the cabin.

I'll check out that book.
thanks
matt

Borrego
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 22:54 - Edited by: Borrego

No, you don't need to use concrete, it may even be a detriment (holding water, etc), just soak the poles in diesel fuel or something. The ancient structures were just sunk into the earth. Your cabin is so small, you'll be fine.... and use some diagonal crossbraces between the poles to stop them from moving. My cabin is so solid it amazes me!
P1010770.JPG
P1010770.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.