Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Another stove pipe question, smoke coming back in
Malamute
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 20:44

A friend has a stove that has a problem. He had a wind directional cap, the kind that turns in the wind to help draft properly, but he didnt like the sound of it moving. We put a regular cap on it, but he had some smoke come back in. It's to spec regarding height/10 feet from the roof, but it isn't above the ridge. He has an 8-12 pitch roof. we put the directional cap back on, but he still doesn't like the noise it makes and wants to figure out how to have a good draw and silence.

Another person in the area had a stove installed (regular cap, not a wind directional one), and had smoke come back in when the wind came from a certain direction. The wind direction that caused trouble wasn't from coming over the ridge, but from the side of the roof that the stove comes thru. Same roof pitch. They added 2 or 3 feet of pipe and it stopped smoking back in the house. Does this sound like the answer for the guy in the first situation?

larry
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 21:26

Quoting: Malamute
They added 2 or 3 feet of pipe and it stopped smoking back in the house. Does this sound like the answer for the guy in the first situation?

yes it does. my stove has a spec on pipe length, min. of 14'. when i was at 12 ft. the draft was poor added 3ft and problem solved.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 23:06

larry's right. Add pipe to clear the peak and make sure the overall length is equal to greater than the stove mfg. minimum.

justincasei812
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 14:03

I have this same issue at my house. When the wind is out of a certain direction I get the smell of ash/ burnt wood in the house. The chimney does not clear the peak of the roof. I do believe that to be in code in my area the top of the pipe has to be 4ft above the peak. This would solve the problem of the draft coming back in as well. I need to attach the extension to the chimney to make everything work properly.

dfosson
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 14:15

My opinion, you need to be at least 3' above the peak of the house.
I've posted my wood stove chimney picture; there is no down draft and this is the end of the house that catches 90% of the wind out of the southwest. I'd put another section of pipe on it.
chimney.
chimney.

Montanan
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 15:29

Agreed. You'll get better draw with a taller stove pipe. What is the total height of his stove pipe and chimney?

Malamute
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 15:42

I dont recall the total pipe height, we installed it by the specs that came with the stove. It doesn't go above the ridge, (the stove is by an eve wall) but its the required height/distance from the roof according to the book, and the stove shop that sold him the parts. Lower pitch roofs dont seem to have much trouble, but the steep ones have been from what I'm seeing.

Will get his book and double check everything as far as minimum height, but it has a fair bit of pipe on it. It just may take more to work with the standard type cap.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.