Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / More Electrical Questions
justincasei812
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 09:25

I have just purchased a cabin where the wiring had been pulled but no plugs/ switches, lights or panel put in. Apparently the owners ran out of money towards the end of the project. I need to put in the panel that will be running off a generator but I would like to add a little solar/ battery as well. I am not sure what type of panel to use or how to hook up both the solar/ battery along with the generator. I seen one video that had two breakers linked so that when flipped one way the generator could be used and when flipped the other way the solar could be used. I would also like to run just a few things off of the solar but was not sure if there is special wiring that would need to go along with it when "flipping the switch". There will be no electricity running to the cabin and I will be using a 5000w generator to accomplish all me needs and then some. Solar will be for a TV/ dvd player and a few lights. Something to use at night without all the noise. I guess my question is.... Are there any diagrams out there to show how to set up the panel for the generator and solar?

wakeslayer
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 10:02

There are far smarter members than I about this subject.
Other than power tools, or other high draw items, you can run most of what you want off your batteries full time. I doubt you will want your generator running very often. Plus you have to haul gas.
How is your sunshine, winter and summer? We have 7 hours of very weak sun in the winter, 13-14 hours of strong sun in the summer. My cabin has four T105 batteries, and will run two buildings with about 35% of my battery store per day in the winter, 15-20% summer. My buildings are setup wired entirely AC, and the battery's juice runs through a 1750w inverter. I have two 135w panels (I think), they run through the charge control box, and charge the batteres. in the winter, when solar charging is weak, I throw the generator on for a couple hours. I have a Honda EU3000 generator.
very simple solar set up
very simple solar set up

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 10:20

First a question. Are you going to have some things like lights run DC? Many people do that but it is my opinion that DC and AC together just complicate things. I have similar to wakeslayer; our cabin is mainly 120 VAC with only a couple lights on 24 VDC. The DC lights were purposely used so we would still have some light if the inverter crapped out. It probably won't ever, but this was just in case.

To the question of "flipping the switch" between solar and gen. A good inverter/charger eliminates the need for that. They cost more but they make life simple.

You can also get a stand alone automatic transfer switch. The power from the inverter connects to it. When the generator is started the ATS will automatically switch from the inverter (solar) power to the generator. There are also manual transfer switches which is likely the device you mean when you state "flipping the switch".

justincasei812
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 13:07

The cabin is in northern Michigan and I would need to look to see how much sun we normally get. I know Google earth has a calculator for the amounts of sun different areas receive. From what I have heard a fair amount of people use solar in the area. I know I need a generator big enough to power a 240v well pump or else I would go with something smaller. To go solar for the most part would be nice. I would like to have it set up properly with a generator for those winter months when the batteries need to be charged and there is little sun. I did not see much on the internet other than Youtube.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 14:50

you can change your well pump to a 120v also. cost a few bucks, but probably a wash in the end. That thing will be jumping around a bit on a 240v, no ?

justincasei812
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 21:34

Wakeslayer,

I could but the pump is 110ft down and I am not sure if the pump could pump the water that far with it being down that far.

Do you have a parts or "shopping" list of what you put in your cabin? I know this will not go in until spring but if I can buy a little at a time over the next few months, that is always a plus.

Thanks for all the help to both of you!

Kevin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.