Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cold/freeze alarm or alert?
Malamute
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 22:52

I've heard of a system that sends a message if a place gets below a certain temperature. Does anyone know of a brand name of such a device, or a simple one that would simply turn on a light or some such thing if the temp got to about 40 or 45 degrees? I keep an eye on the neighbors place, they are just occasional visitors, and once in a while the winds kick up and blow the pilot out in the heat stove. If I could get a setup for him that turned on a light, I'd notice it without having to go over to check on the place. The ones that send a message may not be practical, they don't have a land line there.

jjlrrw
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 23:35

For ~$20 you can get a 120V line thermostat, set it to a temperature and when the temp drops below it will turn on any 120V device you connect to it.

Malamute
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 09:46

I had thought about that, but the ones I've seen start at about 50 deg on their scale, I need something that will start at 40. The main thermostat is set to about 50 deg. I need something below that range before it activates. I believe the notification type gadgets have a lower temp range they can be set to.

jjlrrw
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 10:14

I think you are correct for the analog ones with a dial plus they are not very accurate. Not sure about the digital ones.

If you know about electronics you could use a thermistor with a opamp setup as a comparator then have the opamp turn on a relay when the resistance of the thermistor = < xx°. These parts could be found at Radio Shack down side it would not be adjustable and take some know how and soldering electronic components.

TomChum
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 10:54 - Edited by: TomChum

Get a milk-house heater. Disconnect the heater-coil and run the wires out to an female plug (like an ext cord cutoff end). When you find the setting where 40deg occurs on the downslope, mark it with a sharpie pen.

You can test this in your mudroom at home and if its repeatable to your satisfaction, put it at the neighbor's house with a colored "trouble light" outside the house.

Or maybe a string of xmas lights arranged in a pattern of "40".

Not to take all the fun out of it but is there some kind of backdraft prevention that can be done to the chimney such that the pilot light doesn't get blown out?

jjlrrw
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 12:25 - Edited by: jjlrrw

Sorry - After looking more this item has a minimum load of 500W

Malamute
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 21:43

Called my heating/AC guy and asked his thoughts. We're going to coordinate, and he's going to build me a setup to do what I need. I'm going to have it be able to turn on a light in this case, it will be workable for what I need.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.