Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Floor framing construction question
Swamphunter
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 23:08

Here is a picture of the floor framing that we will be using. It is sitting on 6x6 skids on top of blocks, over gravel base... my question being, does the floor joists have to be pressure treated, or is rough cut ok since they will have zero contact with the ground? Just planning for my build starting in the string and going through my BOM to make sure I get exactly the right stuff purchased... thanks

Swamphunter
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 23:09

The 6x6 skids are pressure treated by the way...

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 23:41

The rule is usually if the floor joist bottom edge is less than 18 inches off grade they should be PT; for girders (beams) the distance is 12 inches. If the top edge of the floor joists are less than 18 inches then the subfloor should also be PT.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 01:43

Thank you MtnDon... that settles it for sure

Jeremy165
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 13:41

I too think you'll be fine as long as you allow air to blow under the cabin and don't block the sides in with firewood or whatever.

A little more height wouldn't hurt though if you were planning on plumbing or insulating the bottom of the cabin.

I like the setting where you're building.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.