Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin roof
Brian
# Posted: 31 Mar 2009 10:04

I was wondering the best roof to use on a 8x12 foot cabin. I think I would like a loft, but it seems like a roof with out trusses will be simpler to construct. The cabin is intended for 2 people at most.

Thanks for your advice,

Brian

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 31 Mar 2009 10:07

Hi Brian,

Yes, I think the roof without trusses is much simpler to construct, but then you would not have a loft.
Looking back, I wish I have done it with trusses / loft for the sleeping area - with the small cabin of this size every bit of space is valuable.

Good luck with your project

islandguy
# Posted: 31 Mar 2009 15:33

My brother converted an old 12x16 shed into a cabin. The shed originally had a 7.5' ceiling, but was converted to a "cathedral" ceiling, and it really opened up the space, and felt a lot roomier.
The downside, as pointed out by cabinbuilder, is less floor space, and nowhere as a dedicated sleeping space. You would also have to build a very steeply pitched roof to allow loft space on a small cabin, although that would be an advantage in high snowfall areas. There are advantages and disadvantages to both roof configurations. Good luck.

Brian
# Posted: 31 Mar 2009 21:05

Thanks I will keep you posted. I'll probably go with the trusses even though I have no clue on building them. I think the loft will be a big plus.

jbseay
# Posted: 1 Apr 2009 17:46

Brian, you could just put in joists for the loft, same as the main floor has, and then seperately build the rafters the old fashioned way.
In a structure that size, off the shelf dimensional lumber would work fine for the loft, 2x8 on 16" centers, or 2x10 on 24" The rafters can easily be single 2x6, probably overbuilt for that narrow a span. does that help address your question?
I'm a fan of the half loft idea. so for you a 6x8 sleeping area, and the rest open to the peak of the ceiling.
There are also lots of commercial available pre-made trusses if you don't want to build your own.

WILDCHILDMATTM
# Posted: 1 Apr 2009 22:12

Brian I also will build a 6 x 12 this year if you have any ideas for me or I- 4 you but mine will be my next home I live in Elkhart IN.( I live in the RV capitol of the US all out of work )
if you need help drop me a line id love to help and share my ideas. hope you have fun like me and my kids have. MATT MULCAHEY.

White Cloud
# Posted: 5 Sep 2009 13:36

Quoting: CabinBuilder
Looking back, I wish I have done it with trusses / loft for the sleeping area - with the small cabin of this size every bit of space is valuable.

Hello
What space is available if I used trusses rather than the flat roof?
What trusses should I be looking for? Height/Angle/Cost.
I am looking at building the 8X12' cabin but want the loft to fully utilize space.
Thanks,
David

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Sep 2009 11:15

dear Brian,i do not know but that roof business gave my hubby nitemares as we are in a really heavy snowload area.so here is what he came up with.cabingal3
cabin innards
cabin innards

Borrego
# Posted: 15 Sep 2009 22:07

Don't use engineered trusses, build a gambrel style roof for more room up top... Just my.02

Walnut
# Posted: 22 Sep 2009 15:08

My small cabin (see URL is 8x12 and has a 12/12 pitch roof with 2x6 rafters at 16" oc. I built our loft using 2x6 joists and OSB sheathing. The linked thread has a picture of it. I would definitely not go to the trouble of trusses for such a small project.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 3 Oct 2009 12:58

I did mine shed roof style 10 feet tall in the back 8 foot in the front this will allow a sleeping loft over the dining area were the bottom of the "loft" can be lower. the 10 foot ceiling in the back really gives some "space" and the framing is butt simple. I used BCI's 14 feet long to span the 11 foot (outside width)..they are light and strong.
shed roof
shed roof

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.