Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Calculating forces wood can support? Insulating timber framed camp?
dpoisson
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 15:41

I've already established that timber framing using 4x4's isn't going to be the cheapest way of building, however it would be a lot of fun to do.

Think small hunting camp: 12x12 with 4' porch.

I'd love to timber frame with 4x4's. How long of a span can you do before you need to add another vertical support (I'm sure they aren't called "studs" in timber framing, but you know what I mean).

We're in a climate with plenty of snow (Quebec) and I was thinking of doing a small sleeping loft if possible. so, the walls are going to bearing a significant load.

Would having 1 vertical beam at each ends and having a center (at 6') vertical beam be sufficient? my gut feeling says no, but I'm sure there's a way to confirm this mathematically.

I also had another question concerning timber framed camps. If we wanted to insulate it, how would we go about doing it while still being able to see the "beams" from the inside? Normally, you'd stuff some insulation between the studs, then cover it up on the inside (pin or something else).

Thanks!

Fish

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 18:22

The vertical pieces are called columns, IIRC.

I could be wrong but 4x4's seem small unless there are many of them. Especially with big snow.

The Forestry Forum has a timber framing area

Lots of folks there who know a lot. Somewhere on that site they have some column and beam calculators.

G/L

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.