Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Square footage question.....
greenacarina
# Posted: 15 Feb 2012 23:58

I am in the mental-planning stages of what kind of cabin to build on my new little piece of land. The county building code allows up to 200 sq ft before I need a permit. Can anyone tell me if a porch or deck is part of the square footage calculation? I wouldn't think so, but this is all brand new to me....don't wanna get in trouble ;)

Thanks,
Chris

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 Feb 2012 01:32

It would not count as square footage as long as it doesn't have 3 walls. That is what I was told by the town I am in when I put this question to them. Note, they did tell me a loft counts as footage.
Kev

greenacarina
# Posted: 16 Feb 2012 03:32

I wonder if a half-size loft could be identified as a "storage shelf"?

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 Feb 2012 07:26

The half loft was my intention as well, but they told me any loft area counts toward my sq footage. I can also only go 10 ft from ground level with my shed, so a loft actually would have only been storage anyhow..or a crawl in sleeper..

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 Feb 2012 11:45

add your floor joists for the half loft after your build...... after the inspection add your joists for the half loft....and keep your curtains closed...LOL

greenacarina
# Posted: 16 Feb 2012 22:46

Here is the verbiage of the code-

Permits shall not be required for the following:
Building:
(1) One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses,
provided the floor area does not exceed two hundred square feet, and provided the structure complies
with the building setback requirements set forth in Title 17 of this code governing zoning and Title 18 of
this code governing critical area protection.

So, the height thing could be interesting. I am going under the guise of "playhouse". I can keep the footprint to 200 sq ft and will ideally build at least 2 of these. This certainly won't happen overnight...I envision construction of an outhouse first and a lot of tent camping. I figure once I get a feel for the area and talk to some other people, I can get an idea how strict the county may be for a small non-permitted playhouse. Ideally I will be building in the middle of trees, so not too visible from the road.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 10:46

They counted it in my county where I built. If the porch hangs out, build it without it, then have it inspected, then add it later.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.