Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Compressor/Nail Gun or Biceps/Hammer?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Martian
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 13:27

Good hoses are worth their weight in gold. Just saying....

Tom

Borrego
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 22:01

Being in the business, I have to weigh in on the side of the compressor/nailer, of course. I used to hand nail everything until about my mid 40's when my elbow gave out. I was embarrassed to go to the 'machine' method but boy it sure is easy and more accurate as well. Most people overlook this. But the ability to hold your workpieces and have the nail just pop in there is invaluable at times!
Now of course the amateurs would want to practice a bit as you can hurt yourself really easily. I've put a nail into my hand early in the morning by not paying attention. Hurts like h*ll and doesn't look all that good in front of a customer either
I have 4 compressors and a few nail guns and after trying most all of them over the years I really find that my Makita bias is once again proven true. Their compressors are quiet and reliable. Their gun is unbelievable! Once I used one, every other gun feels like crap. All of the carpenters I hire must have their own tools and the kids all have the same thing: porter cable, bostitch, milwaukee, dewalt. All good, but flimsy and rattly to me now.

dsj
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 09:56

Quoting: Borrego
But the ability to hold your workpieces and have the nail just pop in there is invaluable at times!

This is a big thing is being able to be more productive. More often than not, I am working without a helper.
Not having to go find your S.O., wait for her to finish whatever she is doing and come to hold a board for three seconds while you fasten it can really speed up a project.

I have a Canadian tire framing nailer that i got on special at $99 for one project a few years ago. It's been very reilable for a home-owner grade of tool.

dsj
# Posted: 21 Feb 2012 09:57

And my tennis elbow hasn't flared up since i bought a nailer.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.