Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Crushed stone pricing?
VTweekender
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 17:14 - Edited by: VTweekender

Hi folks, whats a reasonable price to pay for 3/8 crushed stone delivered? Been checking around online but seems to vary a lot. Also see some list it sold by the ton and 20 ton minimum delivery, others list by the yard. How many cubic yards in a 20 ton load?

I have about 125 foot driveway about 12 ft wide I want to lay down about 6 inches of stone, plus a 14 x 18 base for cabin about 8 inches deep.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Anonymous
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 18:38

This might help

URL

Martian
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 18:41

My suggestion would be to call one of the rock guys and discuss your project. They'll be able to give you some pretty accurate figures. I would suggest you get extra...........it doesn't go bad. Around here, I'm in Kansas and the quarry is 18 miles away, it cost $85 for transport, and the rock cost $7-8 a ton depending on size, cleanness, etc. If I remember correctly, a cubic yard is roughly one ton......don't hold me to that. There are 27cuft/cuyd.

Tom

Just
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 19:14

you should put down 6 in. of 2 in stone then 2 in of 3\4.last much longer and cost less.here 2 in is 20$ deliverd 3\4 is 25$ deliverd ,for crushed lime stone, about 4$ aton less for round stone. if you buy it in the summer you will get more because it is dry . you should remove the top soil first ,at least 6 in.depending on the soil a cloth base my be the best way to go you should dig a drainage ditch on at least 1 side . 1 yard =about 1 and a 1\4 tons depending on stone . take your measurements to the stone yard they will tell you very close how much you need ....

coffeekittie
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 05:08

I put in a gravel road late last year, and put down 4 inches of medium sized gabion rock as the bottom level, followed by smaller rock on top. Please look into doing this on your site instead of merely using the 3/8 alone!

I can't help you with specific pricing in your area, but for my project, calling every gravel quarry I could find in the area and explaining my project resulted in a good quote and a very well done roadway. If you have a way to bring in the rock yourself, it is amazingly cheap.

Good luck and have fun!
Parker

spicyacres
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 10:06

I love crushed stone, did my entire double-wide 50ft driveway with the stuff, nothing drains better and nothing lasts longer, and rodents won't be digging thru it, so it's great under a cabin with a crawl space.

VTweekender
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 18:58

Thank you for all your replies. I will go with your recommendation of larger stone layer under the smaller stone on top, thanks much for that tip. I got a better handle on pricing now as well. I can't go by price from my local guy in this small town I live in, as he is always been very high on everything, so I will be shopping stone near my land 60 miles from home.

Kev

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 21:28

For driveway, I used what they call 5/8 minus. Its larger stones, all crushed, but then it has all sizes from almost sand like up to 5/8. It packs nice and doesn't migrate or move like just washed gravel does. I ended up with 7 loads on a full sized dump truck (tandem axle Peterbuilt) which was 10 yrs. Each truck load was $265. My place was quite a haul uphill so they consumed lots of fuel. The guy was handy, he would pop his tail gate loose, then use a chain to limit the opening and drive, it would dump out just right as he drive with hsi dump bed up. I had my neighbor with an old Case tractor do the finish spreading. But depending on how much you need, it could be done by hand. I have to say my driveway has to be close to 600 feet and I also had gravel laid all around the cabin perimeter out to about 20 feet

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.