Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Electric Heat
hoosiercabins
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 11:09 - Edited by: hoosiercabins

I built a small 2 bedroom 1 bath cabin and thought that I would not need to heat it since it was mostly going to be used in the summer. I recently learned that we love it so much that we will be spending a lot more time there than we thought. I really don't have the room for a furnace or wood stove so I was thinking about electric baseboard heat. I found some heaters that can be hard wired to 110V but didn't know how well it would work. Has anyone ever used these type of hearters before and are they cost efficient to run?

Rifraf
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 11:59

Hoosiercabins,

I'll soon be installing a through the wall AC unit with heat pump. My research suggests they are very effective and in smaller households are very cost effective. I have not proven this myself yet, but I dont doubt those facts, they have come from various dependable sources.

Now mine is a 220/240 v unit, 12000 btu. What BTU can you get out the unit you are looking at ? and what is the square footage of your cabin ? If you havent got a ceiling fan , you may need one to keep the heat down where you need it.

sparky1
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 12:05

Base Board Heaters (WILL WORK) on 110 volts, I have (1) I added, behind the Couch, in my Motorhome---Plenty of space so Couch, Not a fire hazzard. even 220 volt Heaters on 110 Volts will put off a little heat.
sparky1.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 12:33

We use baseboard heaters here as well as in our small motel. I LOVE them! We have them on programmable thermostats so I can keep it cooler at night while we sleep and the place is warm in the morning when we wake up.

One important thing to keep in mind - prethink where you are going to place them! Remember that you will have furniture in your house/cabin and you want to make sure to place the baseboard heaters in places where you won't have furniture. They won't do you much good if they are behind a couch and the heat has nowhere to go. We have ours under our front room window and under our table in the middle room. In the bedroom, we have one under the window. In the bathroom we have a small one under the towel rack. I think what I like most about them is that they are quiet.

neb
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 19:49

Electric is a very good heat and most think it will cost you an arm and leg but it is very efficient. You need to check with your local power supplier because they may have a rate for electric heat. Where I live you pay $0.04 a KW and you can't beat the price. You can compare price of propane or gas electric is the cheapest in my area. Electric heat is 100% efficient no waste what so ever.

hoosiercabins
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 08:28

Rifraf,
Where can I find more information about this through wall A/C and heat pump? It sounds intreating and could be a gtreat option.

To All,
Thanks for the info on the baseboard heaters, it really helped.

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 10:36

Check out mini split system if you also need A/C

Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 12:11 - Edited by: Rifraf

The unit im going to try is a frigidaire though the wall AC with heat. The heat will work with heat pump using the ac coolant, if it gets too cold for that it will switch to pure electric heating.

Click here for product info from walmart.. Can be bought many places and there are several models of through the wall AC out there with and without heating options.

Mini Splits are nice too, but require a more in depth electrical hookup and coolant lines ran to the emitters if I recall. Im a novice in most things so I decided on the through the wall unit since I would merely frame it into my wall and have a standard power plug wired for it inside the cabin, on the wall under the unit.

sparky1
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 17:42

I have a Mini Split Heat pump systen in my Trailer, Made by "Samsung" Mine=2 ton unit--
unfortunely it's leaked all the Freon out so it doesn't work,
sparky1

Rob_O
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 19:52

Quoting: Rifraf
The unit im going to try is a frigidaire though the wall AC with heat. The heat will work with heat pump using the ac coolant, if it gets too cold for that it will switch to pure electric heating.

Remember you will need a mounting sleeve for that thing as well

Rifraf
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 20:58

Rob_0 , yep. Already have that part.
the frigidaire sleeve part number for the above unit is
Frigidaire EA108T

Rob_O
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 21:34

Just making sure you knew

Rob_O
# Posted: 25 Feb 2012 00:11

Back to the original topic. Where is your cabin, how many ft^2 and how much insulation? Also, how warm do you want to keep the place, do you need AC and how cold is the "stay home" limit? And, last but not least, how many days a month will you be there?

The generic online calculators say my 12*16 cabin with *average* insulation in zone 3 will need 40 btu/ft^2 - 7700 BTU/hr - to stay warm. Local electric rates are about .09/KWH, running through all the math It'll cost me $3.24 per 6 foot (1500 watt) heater full blast per 24 hour period, I'll need 2 of them. Figure 6 days a month, that's 40 bucks... but if you're there all month you're spending $200 just to heat the place.

The heat pump unit Rifraf will be more efficient, but it may not be worth the extra cost depending on all those questions I noted above. For my weekender, it's not worth it but YMMV. Good luck with your project

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Feb 2012 10:44

Rob,
Not sure where to get the calculator that you were talking about but here is all the info of the cabin. The cabin is 24 x 25. It has 2 bedrooms that are 9 x 11 and a bathroom that is 5 x 8. The livingroom and kitchen is one open concept that is 24 x 14. I am installing a electric fireplace that has a small heater on it for the cool cabin look. The problem with installing a through wall heat pump is I don't think the heat will transfer to the bedrooms. As far as the location of the cabin and time spent, the cabin is in northern Indiana and we will be spending weekends there mostly in the srping and summer. We will occasionally be there in the winter but without the well hooked up, it makes it a little hard with small kids and the wife.

hoosiercabins
# Posted: 25 Feb 2012 21:15 - Edited by: hoosiercabins

Sorry, forgot to log in. So Anonymous would be me.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.