Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Weathering Interior Sliding Doors Help Needed
bostonman98
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 16:16

I rebuilt a relatively small cabin in Central Maine this past summer and had a question to ask everyone.
I installed sliding glass doors to go from the main room into the sleeping porch, here's a picture of it:

Weathering Sliging Door

As you can see at the top there is a sizable gap and the doors are also roughly 2" away from the wall due to the metal track they are one. This is a summer cabin so it being air tight wasn't an issue at first but now it is being used more in the winter so all that heat loss is an issue.
I initially was going to build a "fake wall" to either side but I like the simplicity look of it. Any suggestions on how to weatherize this situation? Thanks so much

Martian
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 17:02 - Edited by: Martian

Knowing you want to keep the inside look, I'd put a piece of trim across the top of the opening on the outside and extending across the gap on the inside; leave enough room between the door and the trim piece for weather stripping. The sides I would close off inside by putting a "stud" flush with the door edge at each side when the doors are closed. These would tie into the trim piece you put across the top so the door would be sealed top and sides when closed. By adjusting your stops you can have the inside edge of the door cover the studs when the doors are open, too. The center needs an weatherstripped, overlapping trim piece attached to the outside of one of the doors. Felt weatherstripping can go across the bottoms.

That's how I'd try to meet your requirements, anyway.

Tom

bostonman98
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 16:00

Thanks so much, appreciate the tips!

jack123
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 01:53

The door are must for the house security nowadays.There are a lot of companies that make sliding doors but japanese sliding doors are made of good material.These doors cannot be damaged in the rains or bad weathers.The quality of the doors is as good that the rain water cannot be leaked from these doors.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 09:33 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I'll throw in a comment, but maybe not an answer. Like Martian said you should be able to use felt type weather strip, rubber not so much, as you need it to slide along edge wise. On a pole bard slidding door, the weatersrtip doesn't touch much until latched. Good luck with this. Let us know what you find out. I like the big opening you get when they're open.

Owen

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.