Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Landscape Timber KIds Cabin 10x19~ how do i cover timber with t&g Knotty Pine
Rpdranc
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 08:27

How can I cover interior ceiling, walls,floor with rough hewn knotty pine? I want to use tongue and groove paneling on ceiling and 1/4 log on walls. do i have to put vapor barrier on walls floor and ceiling, do i need to vent roof, what would be best to insulate over the timbers? do i hang particle board over timbers or just nail tongue and groove right over it?

I have no carpentry skills, this is a new hobby, thought a great place to start. It has a full electrical panel, so i really want to finish this nice inside and plan on taking my time. Should i use chinking on inside before i apply vapor guard and pine? what is preferred pine or cedar? please let me know how to upload pics would like you to see what I'm trying to cover. Thanks!

Rpdranc
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 08:55

pics of cabin
kids Cabin
kids Cabin
Kids Cabin 1
Kids Cabin 1
Kids Cabin 2
Kids Cabin 2
Kids Cabin 3
Kids Cabin 3

PA_Bound
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 10:29

A few questions come to mind here. What is your longer-term plan for this cabin? Is it going to simply be a nice kids playhouse, or are you looking to camp, or live, in it? Do you plan to heat it (how)?

Rpdranc
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 11:37 - Edited by: Rpdranc

First off, thank you for replying!!
We plan on using it all year round. Place to hang out and have a cold beverage after swimming/fishing and camping out at night in summer.
Warming up in winter after ice skating and ice fishing in the winter.
So what do you think?

Rpdranc
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 11:56 - Edited by: Rpdranc

Previous owners would have friends w RV's over to camp, so I have all the electric I need for cabin and site!
pond
pond
electric and then some and then some
electric and then some and then some
RV power
RV power

PA_Bound
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 12:53

One more important question- in what state, province or similar geographic locale is your cabin located?

Rpdranc
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 12:59

We are in Indiana.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 13:56

Nice looking cabin. Plenty of potential to work with (and seeming great shore-line location).

I'm still not sure I have enough information to provide adequate answers to your questions so my opinions may include "it depends" answers. But to get the discussion started (hopefully some others will weigh in also), I'll provide some of my initial thoughts:

Should i use chinking on inside before i apply vapor guard and pine?- To respond I would first ask how tight the timbers are now? In the pictures the timbers appear to be well mated together- with no visible gaps or cracks. Is that the case? Does water leak in between timbers in a storm or other times when water is directed towards the cabin walls? If timbers are tight and no water gets in, you may not need chinking. If the gaps are minimal, a good quality, construction-grade caulking of the outside walls may satisfy your needs. If the gaps are large, then chinking may be the best solution- and I'll leave further discussion on that up to those on the forum more familiar with chinking.

Regarding vapor barriers, roof vents and insulation- these answers depend on how tight you plan to make this cabin. If you are just going to use it as a 3-season hang-out, you may not need any of these. If you want it warm enough in which to spend a night in January, or cool enough for the dog-days of August, you may need all of them (and additional heating or A/C).

Icebear
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 14:14

I can't help with the walls because I've never worked with a log cabin, but the ceiling is a little more simple...

If the structure is sound, doesn't leak, and is nice and dry you have several options to insulate and the install you T&G. Your insulation is going to run inside your rafters with the T&G nailed to the underside of your rafters.

You need to choose your insulation, taking into account the R value you need, presence of down lights, location of cabling etc. Also think about if you might ever want to change the light locations etc - do it now if you do!

With the T&G you need to take advice on the maximum distance between the rafters and the thickness of panelling you will install. You may need to put in additional timber to provide more support for the T&G. Don't skimp here - it might look great on day one, but when it starts to sag between the rafters in a few years time you'll not be happy. It you don't have lots of gear and aren't sure how to frame you could just put ply sheathing under the rafters and then nail the panelling to the ply.

In my part of the world, with a dry structure, we wouldn't use venting or require a vapor barrier but somebody who knows your weather better than I can advise on that.

All good fun, lots of work ahead, but a lovely place to start. My cabin started as a few holes in the ground so I'm envious!

exsailor
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 14:28

Rpdranc
Nice looking little cabin you have there and on a pond. What more could you ask for? Well if you were to get greedy maybe running water for a hydro system! LOL I grew up in southwest Indiana. Do you plan on insulating? For your ceiling Look at this posting http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_544_1.html Nathan has done a great job on his ceiling and rafters. It should work with your ceiling; it might be tight in places, but should be do able. I personally wouldn't cover the inside wall, unless you wanted to insulate. It will cost you some interior space but set vertical 2x4's as feering strips, excuse the spelling, then you can insulate between the studs. If you don't intend t insulate just use vertical 1x2's to use as your base then nail your tongue and groove. Keep us posted, looks like you are going to have some fun there in the future.

Rpdranc
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 15:20

PA_Bound, Icebear, exsailor~ THANKYOU, what a great site. My wife couldn't believe there was a small cabin forum! Then again she couldn't believe the time i spent last month on tractor forum prior to buying my first JD Tractor!

There are some gaps, but it takes a lot of wind and remains bone dry in the rain and snow. I will take your advice and use construction grade calk on the outside. Would it matter if i also calk the inside that will be covered by T&G , or is that over kill. I was concerned about losing precious interior space too, but really want to brighten it up with some new pine or cedar. Great link also on ceiling, thanks!i think ill insulate and not worry about venting. Plan on spending a lot of time on this forum before starting, thanks again!

PA_Bound
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 17:29

Focus on caulking the outside, but if you have the money and (possibly more of an issue)time I don't think caulking the interior gaps would be a bad thing either. When you caulk the exterior, go to a good builder supply and get a recomendation on what to use. There are some great exterior caulks out now (like OSI Quad) but you can't get them at HD or Lowes.

As for insulating and not venting, be careful here. If you make the cabin too well insulated you could have a problem with condensation and, worse case, mold. A buddy of mine built a log hunting cabin. He built it on a concrete slab which I agree didn't help matters, and it was also shut tight during this period, but it ended up so tight that over a particularly humid stretch a few summers ago everything inside mildewed. It was nasty. Other cabins around, even stick built elevated cabins, all had similar issues. So don't underestimate the value of venting in cabins not opened up regularly.

fpw
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 18:59 - Edited by: fpw

There a few log home calking and chinking products, here are some links to Shroeder Log Home supply:

http://www.loghelp.com/c-5-chinking-for-log-homes.aspx

http://www.loghelp.com/c-4-caulking-for-log-homes.aspx

These guys are good, call them up and talk with them in regards to what you need. I've purchased many items thought this outfit. They know their stuff and specialize in log homes.

It looks like your logs are small diameter, so they will need some insulation. I suggest calk or chink the gaps. Nail in vertical furring strips, say on 18 or 24 inch centers. Insulate between the strips and nail up your log siding.

brokeneck
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 23:05

I love Wolfhounds!!!

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 22:24

I have the same idea of building a cabin out of landscape timbers.I built a 6x10 foot doghouse out of them and have had many compliments on that.What is the size of your cabin and how many timbers did you use.I'm thinkn bout a 12x24 or 16x24.thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.